How do I (adult female) ask my GP for assessment??

I’m really worried and am putting off approaching my GP for an assessment. 

Does anyone have any tips on how to have this conversation as an adult female? 

Parents
  • You should try to clarify WHY you want to have a diagnosis from an official channel.

it often isn’t helpful for high functioning autistic people 

• I'm looking forward to my diagnosis for three main reasons...

• Sometimes when feeling good/fully functional, or reflecting on such times in my past, I start to doubt my self-diagnosis. This leads to me not asserting my needs strongly enough.
    • I want to check that I don't have some other condition as well as (or perhaps instead of) autism.
    • When seeking medical help (particularly for mental health & therapy), I want to present ALL the relevant information - they more background they have, the more likely to get effective treatment.
  • I'm looking forward to my diagnosis for three main reasons...

• Sometimes when feeling good/fully functional, or reflecting on such times in my past, I start to doubt my self-diagnosis. This leads to me not asserting my needs strongly enough.
    • I want to check that I don't have some other condition as well as (or perhaps instead of) autism.
    • When seeking medical help (particularly for mental health & therapy), I want to present ALL the relevant information - they more background they have, the more likely to get effective treatment.
Children