I've just been diagnosed

Hi I've just been diagnosed with Autism and ADHD I'm 22 and I really don't no how to come to terms with the diagnosis. I'm scared what others will think I no its who I am and then the doctors are talking about meds for adhd and there's so much mixed opinions I don't no what to do. I've been suicidal lately and recently diagnosed with bpd aswell so I'm a mess honestly, I have no friends I'm so scared to reach out, did anyone else struggle to accept there diagnosis and how did you overcome it and come to terms

Parents
  • I was diagnosed last October and really struggled. The next few months my mental health plummeted and I had to take time off work. I really thought getting that diagnosis and knowing there was a reason why I was different would help, but it didn't. For me what helps is thinking that diagnosis or not, i have went 30 years being myself and 29 of those were without a diagnosis. I face challenges and struggles daily regardless of whether or not i got that report or not so to me it is irrelevant. 

As far as being scared about what other think, i only concern myself  with what the people who actually know me think. The world is full of people who judge everyone on everything. If a person is neuro-typical they get judged on an assortment of other things. It all stems from ignorance and insecurity on behalf off the people who look at someone surface level and make that judgement. Those peoples opinions don't matter to me because i don't know them and they don't know me so they don't matter. They matter to the people who know them, but that's not me so i don't let it affect me because i know there projecting there own issues onto me without actually knowing me. I would defiantly speak to family or people who you trust and ask them what they think. Learning to love yourself for the flawed person that you are will make you so much happier. Nobody is perfect and everyone has their own issues regardless of how they present themselves. Hope this helps in some small way.

• Thank you yes that helps :) yh no matter diagnosis or not I am who i am 

• Welcome to this forum DanMc  Slight smile

Reply Children