Any people over 40 on here ?

Hi my name is Sylvia - I am yet to be diagnosed - still waiting after 1yr 3mths - but have 4 more in the family  diagnosed about 2 years ago - who all went private - my daughter is just beginning her journey on the assessment - I am 57 and I am 99% sure that I am withing the Aspergers Spectrum and just wondered if you get more tired - I have worked since I was 15 - we had to in those days - there were many problems along the way - I now find that I dont want to go to work - my body is able but my brain lacks motivation - I have to go back next weekend - I work 2 nights although it should be 3 - I am just tired and feel happier now closer to home - how does anyonelse cope with this? I also would like to make interesting friends cos I am so bored by my old ones, and I do not say this lightly - I have known them for over 15 years, and have broken away from them - they dont talk, they dont want to get on in life - I am still going in for my Degree in Counselling this year and also waiting to find out if I can be a Registered Childminder again - and they dont laugh and have no sense of humour - I like the different things in life - Sylvia

Parents
  • I think most people get tired more quickly and less motivated with the same things and less patient, when they get older, but for us we find ordinary life a lot more stressful anyway so it is harder for us to keep going. I was in my 50s when I got a diagnosis and I think that for those who are diagnosed in childhood they at least know what it is and can understand themselves better and may get some support. We have not known why we struggled so much and have felt inadequate.

I wouldn't like to be young again (though if I had a choice I wouldn't get any older either).  Although my friends are NTs they are good friends and still interesting even though I have known them a long time.  Apart from these few people I have withdrawn from the NT world (as much as is possible) and I am so much happier for it. If I have to communicate with the outside I much prefer to do it on the computer because I get time to think, and if I get distressed they don't have to know. My problem with the telephone is it is too immediate.

• I think most people get tired more quickly and less motivated with the same things and less patient, when they get older, but for us we find ordinary life a lot more stressful anyway so it is harder for us to keep going. I was in my 50s when I got a diagnosis and I think that for those who are diagnosed in childhood they at least know what it is and can understand themselves better and may get some support. We have not known why we struggled so much and have felt inadequate.

I wouldn't like to be young again (though if I had a choice I wouldn't get any older either).  Although my friends are NTs they are good friends and still interesting even though I have known them a long time.  Apart from these few people I have withdrawn from the NT world (as much as is possible) and I am so much happier for it. If I have to communicate with the outside I much prefer to do it on the computer because I get time to think, and if I get distressed they don't have to know. My problem with the telephone is it is too immediate.

Children
No Data