Has anybody had trouble accessing NHS treatment after a private autism diagnosis at Lorna Wing Centre?

Apologies for the long post title.

I'm going to have an assessment at the Lorna Wing Centre, privately funded because my GP says it won't be possible on the NHS.

My GP advised me to check whether I would still be eligible for NHS autism treatment (e.g. therapy) after a private diagnosis.

I asked the LW Centre about this, and they advised me to check with my local service providers.  I'm going to email them now, but I don't know if it will be possible to get a clear answer.  

I was just wondering if anyone else has had a private assessment there, and then had any trouble accessing NHS treatment?  I wouldn't have thought it would be an issue, given the LWC's reputation and the fact that they also accept NHS referrals, but I want to find out if I can.

Thanks in advance.

Parents
  • This is a ridiculous state of affairs, is it imaginable that a private diagnosis of heart disease or cancer would be ignored by any NHS provider? To do so for an autism diagnosis would be discrimination on the grounds of disability, and the NHS trust could be challenged on that account.

I had a private diagnosis and the psychiatrist wrote to my GP advising a particular anti-depressant, and my GP sent me a prescription immediately.

• Hi Martin, thanks for your reply.  I'm glad that you haven't had any trouble with this.  
    The LW Centre advised me to ask my 'service providers' if my potential diagnosis would be accepted, but the problem is that I don't know who my service providers would be.  Having never sought help for autism, I don't know who the providers of help are.  It is difficult to know the potential providers of help who I might need to contact in future, if I am diagnosed as autistic.  That's why it feels so difficult to get an answer.

I feel like going ahead and hoping for the best, because I believe that the LWC is the best place for diagnosis, but I wish I could get a clear answer.  It would make the process calmer and less stressful.  I don't like the thought that I might not be able to get the help I need.  

• There are various lists of independent licensed providers that are on NHS registers here: https://www.england.nhs.uk/publication/nhs-provider-directory-and-registers-of-licensed-healthcare-providers/

Presumably, if independent health providers are licensed and used by the NHS they have to recognise their diagnoses.

I can't seem to find a way of searching the lists, and in typical UKGOV fashion they are not alphabetical either!

• The Lorna Wing Centre does accept NHS referrals.  I tried to get an NHS referral myself, but I would have needed to apply for an IFR (individual funding request) and my GP told me straight away that this wouldn't work because IFRs are for treatments that aren't normally available on the NHS, yet I had already been offered a referral on the NHS to the Maudsley Centre.

But the LW Centre told me that I still needed to check that my service provider would accept a private diagnosis from there, even though the LW Centre take NHS referrals.  The problem is that I don't know who my potential future service provider will be, because I don't know anything about autism services.

I'm going to take a time out - I'm getting quite stressed about all this.

• The Lorna Wing Centre does accept NHS referrals.  I tried to get an NHS referral myself, but I would have needed to apply for an IFR (individual funding request) and my GP told me straight away that this wouldn't work because IFRs are for treatments that aren't normally available on the NHS, yet I had already been offered a referral on the NHS to the Maudsley Centre.

But the LW Centre told me that I still needed to check that my service provider would accept a private diagnosis from there, even though the LW Centre take NHS referrals.  The problem is that I don't know who my potential future service provider will be, because I don't know anything about autism services.

I'm going to take a time out - I'm getting quite stressed about all this.

Children