Literalism inadvertently undermines spirituality

I think any sense of the spiritual helps me, but literalism in my understanding has often hindered the benefit.  My condition means I hear words literally and for some reason this tends to interfere slightly with spiritual ‘letting go’.  I used to trade peace of mind for the notion of certainty. 
For me a sense of the spiritual - perhaps strange to some - starts with ‘what can I do?’ Not ‘what can’t I do’.

Reality is what exists: what I can do, what I have, not the

Imaginary, the Unreal: what I can’t do, what I don’t have. 

focus on the solution and it increases 

Parents
  • Many years ago the comedian Steve Allen wrote about how it is important for some people to believe in gods, magic, occult, and superstitions--- the silly and demonstrably false beliefs that humans have come up with. Many people need to believe "the spiritual" exists (it does not) because they have no other way to cope with the harsh reality of living in an uncaring universe.

I do not accept the hypothesis that having a literal mind is a cause of people to lack beliefs about "the spiritual:" the lack of evidence for "the spiritual" is all that is required.

• Many years ago the comedian Steve Allen wrote about how it is important for some people to believe in gods, magic, occult, and superstitions--- the silly and demonstrably false beliefs that humans have come up with. Many people need to believe "the spiritual" exists (it does not) because they have no other way to cope with the harsh reality of living in an uncaring universe.

I do not accept the hypothesis that having a literal mind is a cause of people to lack beliefs about "the spiritual:" the lack of evidence for "the spiritual" is all that is required.

Children
  • thank you for this.

I agree with what you say.

My experience tells me what makes life worth living as an autistic person, what feeds the natural tendency to nihilism and what feeds the idea that maybe I should risk living.

My depression and negativity has been replaced by positivity of my spiritual life.  I can choose to be ‘right’ about something or I can choose freedom.

Nihilism the only realistic option?  
    experience of my life informs what I say about things.  
    A year  ago life was meaningless.

I need a spiritual solution.

Others don’t.

open mindedness is a characteristic of my approach and I tolerate and welcome dissenting views.