Literalism inadvertently undermines spirituality

I think any sense of the spiritual helps me, but literalism in my understanding has often hindered the benefit.  My condition means I hear words literally and for some reason this tends to interfere slightly with spiritual ‘letting go’.  I used to trade peace of mind for the notion of certainty. 
For me a sense of the spiritual - perhaps strange to some - starts with ‘what can I do?’ Not ‘what can’t I do’.

Reality is what exists: what I can do, what I have, not the

Imaginary, the Unreal: what I can’t do, what I don’t have. 

focus on the solution and it increases 

Parents
  • Interesting! I can agree with this

I had to give up playing the piano as a child as I just couldn't "let go" as it were and just play even though i knew the keys... I had to look down constantly to ensure I was about to depress the right ones Pensive  it stopped me enjoying it which was sad really. 

• Interesting!  I have a related issue.  When I almost distract myself from trying too much I find I can play entire pieces from memory but if I focus too much on each event - especially as they happen - I lose the inbuilt capacity to play from memory.  
    letting go for me is often just not trying too hard.  As an autistic person I demand certainty as the solution but actually the solution comes about by a type of ‘not caring too much’.  Actually I should say ‘acting as if I don’t care TOO much’.  
    I realise these words can’t explain what I’m trying to say: words are practical tools not spiritual tools. 
    Even that sentence seems to misrepresent what I would have hoped to say. 

• I understand what you're saying there though! and yes it makes total sense - demanding certainty as the solution.. that resonates with me! Really glad you wrote that

Reply Children
No Data