I miss having intense interests

last year I was completely fascinated by many things, particularly rainsticks, a composer I really love, my spiritual practice, and a particular person who has been a special interest for a long time. Since the start of this year though, I haven’t really had intense interests. I think this possibly intersects with mental health difficulties: I feel like I’m not entirely alive when I’m not deeply engaging with things. Does anyone else experience extended periods with no intense interests? I would love to hear about any ways you have discovered of moving through them and becoming really passionate and invested again.

Parents
  • Yes. I love having intense interests/projects, it's the main way that I get enjoyment out of life. I think that is my natural happy state but I have gone through periods of not being interested in anything at all, e.g when I am slightly depressed and lonely, or extremely stressed. 

When I'm feeling good, I'll have loads of really good ideas all at once and I have a strong urge to pursue these projects but then I'll get sad if I can't pursue it, and then when I do have time, I might not be interested in anything. So I decided to make a spreadsheet and I make an entry for every project idea I have. It helps me concentrate on what I'm meant to be doing, because writing it down means I know the idea is safe for another time. And then if I ever want inspiration then I have a lot of appealing ideas to choose from. At the moment I have about 40 things on there that I'm saving for after exams. The stuff varies from books/films I want to read/watch, programming projects, songs I want to learn etc.

The name of the spreadsheet is The Pensieve in reference to Harry Potter.

"One simply siphons the excess thoughts from one’s mind, pours them into the basin, and examines them at one’s leisure" - Dumbledore.

• Yes. I love having intense interests/projects, it's the main way that I get enjoyment out of life. I think that is my natural happy state but I have gone through periods of not being interested in anything at all, e.g when I am slightly depressed and lonely, or extremely stressed. 

When I'm feeling good, I'll have loads of really good ideas all at once and I have a strong urge to pursue these projects but then I'll get sad if I can't pursue it, and then when I do have time, I might not be interested in anything. So I decided to make a spreadsheet and I make an entry for every project idea I have. It helps me concentrate on what I'm meant to be doing, because writing it down means I know the idea is safe for another time. And then if I ever want inspiration then I have a lot of appealing ideas to choose from. At the moment I have about 40 things on there that I'm saving for after exams. The stuff varies from books/films I want to read/watch, programming projects, songs I want to learn etc.

The name of the spreadsheet is The Pensieve in reference to Harry Potter.

"One simply siphons the excess thoughts from one’s mind, pours them into the basin, and examines them at one’s leisure" - Dumbledore.

Children