I miss having intense interests

last year I was completely fascinated by many things, particularly rainsticks, a composer I really love, my spiritual practice, and a particular person who has been a special interest for a long time. Since the start of this year though, I haven’t really had intense interests. I think this possibly intersects with mental health difficulties: I feel like I’m not entirely alive when I’m not deeply engaging with things. Does anyone else experience extended periods with no intense interests? I would love to hear about any ways you have discovered of moving through them and becoming really passionate and invested again.

Parents
  • Yep!

I'll know I'm better when my hyperfocus has gone back out to play with my passions and I'm boring my family rigid with them again.

It's natural, I think. There's only room in my head at least for one thing at a time and that gets ALL of my intense thought and concentration. At the moment those resources are entirely devoted to getting through my assessment and solving the problem which brought me to this point.

Once my nose in stuck back into a grammar book or I'm spending every spare moment designing or making wierd clothes, I'll know I'm through the worst.

Interests can help mental health, but I certainly need the right level of good mental health to engage.

• Yep!

I'll know I'm better when my hyperfocus has gone back out to play with my passions and I'm boring my family rigid with them again.

It's natural, I think. There's only room in my head at least for one thing at a time and that gets ALL of my intense thought and concentration. At the moment those resources are entirely devoted to getting through my assessment and solving the problem which brought me to this point.

Once my nose in stuck back into a grammar book or I'm spending every spare moment designing or making wierd clothes, I'll know I'm through the worst.

Interests can help mental health, but I certainly need the right level of good mental health to engage.

Children