Retracting my autism in order to keep private

Former Member
Former Member

Hi there, 

Hope you are all doing well. 

I found out via an assessment that I have high functioning autism, I mask well and do not come across as autistic but I do need to adapt my life to my own needs for example I just cannot hack a working environment. 

I told a family member about it someone that I can trust, however, recently family have been picking on me and bullying me. The trusted family member had not leaked my secret, and I fear that the other family members might have found out through their working environments. The thing is these family members have always been narcasstic towards me.

I decided to text the family member I know that it was an error in my diagnoses and that I am not autistic. They said that they had been worried sick about my conditions and that they have believed me. I do not like lying, but to save myself I am having to retract it. As I was getting treated as being different etc. 

I am now going to have to put on the mask in public and around family friends all the time and then retreat into my world when alone. 

The thing is I like being Autistic, I actually feel that being neuro typical must be hard for them as they live in a bizarre world talking about food all the time as the main topic of small talk etc etc. 

I just think I need to keep this to myself. I feel that I need to keep  it to myself  and just the few professionals that know about it such as my doctor and those that help  me with PIP.

Anyone else in the same boat?

Parents
  • That's really unfair. Do you have friends whom you could trust who wouldn't judge you?

I wish people were less ignorant and judgemental about autism. One of my best friends also has high-functioning autism, and he was advised not to disclose it at work because it might affect him negatively at work. Which is unfair because he's good at his job.

• That's really unfair. Do you have friends whom you could trust who wouldn't judge you?

I wish people were less ignorant and judgemental about autism. One of my best friends also has high-functioning autism, and he was advised not to disclose it at work because it might affect him negatively at work. Which is unfair because he's good at his job.

Children
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 3 years ago in reply to violetdr3amer

Sadly I don't have anyone like that.  I live in a city that is pretty coldhearted.  It is unfair, as it would be nice to have a few close friends who would understand. I am currently shielding, but I am having  to research in order that when I am not shielding anymore how I am going to act with people in society etc. So that I can mask even more successfully. And then I can come come close the door, put on Star Trek, dance about the place, put on the clothes that I like to wear talk to my pet and just be me. Meaning that I plan to spend more time at home anyway.