Nursing and Autism

I wanted to introduce myself. I'm Carlie and I am student adult nurse.

I was recently diagnosed with ASC last month and I am awaiting ADHD assessment. 

I love being a student nurse and I can't think of doing anything else now, but I do facer adversity and I do feel alone with my diagnosis in the work/ placement environment. 

I was wondering if there were any nurses or student nurses here that might want to share their

experiences or difficulties going into social, highly-pressured working environment and any coping strategies?

Thank you!

Parents
  • Hi Carlie,

I was a student nurse before I had my diagnosis. It was a help and a hindrance, as I didn't know at the time why I was finding some aspects tricky. I would suggest that you take some time focusing on what creates stress for you and how you can mitigate these within your working environment. Some of your strengths will be a massive asset to nursing, so harness those. If you plan to reveal to others, do it with caution, as I suffered from this later on due to negative stereotypes and sheer meanness from peers. Good luck :)

• Hi Carlie,

I was a student nurse before I had my diagnosis. It was a help and a hindrance, as I didn't know at the time why I was finding some aspects tricky. I would suggest that you take some time focusing on what creates stress for you and how you can mitigate these within your working environment. Some of your strengths will be a massive asset to nursing, so harness those. If you plan to reveal to others, do it with caution, as I suffered from this later on due to negative stereotypes and sheer meanness from peers. Good luck :)

Children
No Data