Online autistic identity

I like facebook - I spend a lot of time on it. My profile is almost exclusively 'NT compliant but still eccentric old me'

Does anyone think that a 'dual identity' is healthy?

I feel like I want to 'live my truth' and just be completely open, but I think some/many existing friends would be confused and quite unnerved.

Above all I just want to share some things I know - to entertain, educate, resonate (or be happily disagreed with) - and feel that some of my things are VERY not NT.

Parents
  • I use Instagram for my special interest - knitting and crochet mainly. Not advertised as me being autistic but I do have conversations on there with others about autism.

Twitter account 1 - work-related stuff

Twitter account 2 - openly autistic General chit chat

Facebook - family/friends, not openly autistic

I started the 2nd Twitter for autism and general chit chat recently as I was originally being openly autistic on my primary account but I was blurring lines really between my work identity and my personal needs as a newly diagnosed autistic woman.

I dont feel I want to make a big announcement that I'm autistic to friends and family so I've not bothered with Facebook. I know it would only result in questions I dont want to answer. 

• The scenarios you describe really echo my thinking.

I tried separate accounts - all in my own name but with differing target audiences: I am sure that has not been a success.

When I worked, there was a giant wall between personal and professional online personas (thank you LinkedIn and also fake Facebook names)

And now, with a diagnosis behind me... all i really want to do is live MY truth - whatever on earth that looks like -  and not hurt anyone in the process... :(   

:)

• The scenarios you describe really echo my thinking.

I tried separate accounts - all in my own name but with differing target audiences: I am sure that has not been a success.

When I worked, there was a giant wall between personal and professional online personas (thank you LinkedIn and also fake Facebook names)

And now, with a diagnosis behind me... all i really want to do is live MY truth - whatever on earth that looks like -  and not hurt anyone in the process... :(   

:)

Children
  • Yes, finding our truth seems to be a tricky balance. Do we put ourselves out there and open ourselves up or do we remain guarded. I find this is my general dilemma at the moment, not just online.