What do you folks do to circumvent/cope with smell sensory overload?

Looking for any new coping strategies!

Parents
  • Are there any smells that do not overload you? Perhaps ones that you find are more calming?

I'm thinking along the lines of how white noise or pink noise helps people with hearing sensitivities. Perhaps there is an equivalent in smells that you could have in the background to help dull some of the incoming smells. I would hope that the background smell wouldn't need to be TOO strong... but if it would, then I guess this idea wouldn't work.

Besides this, I try to cover my nose with a sleeve or other fabric, but that only works for shorter time periods - usually to help buy me time to physically move to avoid a smell. I have a reaction (asthmatic) to strong exhaust fumes and for the last decade a mask has worked well in avoiding that reaction, and sometimes I can't even smell that incredibly strong, nasty smell through the mask. But I do change my breathing to shallower 'just in case', so it may be that. Not sure if a mask is an option for you, or if that would work. 

An expensive option - that may not even work - is using an air conditioning unit at home to reduce the need to keep windows or doors open and filter the air a little.

It's a really important topic you raise. It would be good to have more options for smell sensitivities. I'm really stumped for good ideas here.

• Hi Mantra,

Thanks, some good ideas. I do like the idea of air con, but as you say, pretty expensive. Last year I did discover some essential oils I like the smell of, and I bought myself a clay oil burner. Can't stand all the commercial plug-ins and automatic 'puff' sprays, they're usually horribly cloying smells and they 'puff' too frequently. But being able to control the oil burner is nice and that's helping somewhat. I haven't tried it over a summer though yet, and of course this is just a stationary environment solution and won't help with the stuff out in the world.
      Someone has just recommended cotton wool for up the nose which doesn't sound half bad! Like you, I cover my face when I can't get away from it. Like if in a hospital, I have a scarf that I wrap around my face (as well as ear defenders, baseball cap for the light/movement, etc. I look a sight). 

A kind of perfect solution for me would be if autism shops started stocking something along the lines of the badger balm coping strategy I use. i.e. a range of different smelling balms certified safe for putting that close to nostrils for breathing. That, and vinagraittes! I tried to buy a vinagraitte from eBay but because they're no longer made it means buying antique, and then there worries about lead, etc.

The search continues.

• Hi Mantra,

Thanks, some good ideas. I do like the idea of air con, but as you say, pretty expensive. Last year I did discover some essential oils I like the smell of, and I bought myself a clay oil burner. Can't stand all the commercial plug-ins and automatic 'puff' sprays, they're usually horribly cloying smells and they 'puff' too frequently. But being able to control the oil burner is nice and that's helping somewhat. I haven't tried it over a summer though yet, and of course this is just a stationary environment solution and won't help with the stuff out in the world.
      Someone has just recommended cotton wool for up the nose which doesn't sound half bad! Like you, I cover my face when I can't get away from it. Like if in a hospital, I have a scarf that I wrap around my face (as well as ear defenders, baseball cap for the light/movement, etc. I look a sight). 

A kind of perfect solution for me would be if autism shops started stocking something along the lines of the badger balm coping strategy I use. i.e. a range of different smelling balms certified safe for putting that close to nostrils for breathing. That, and vinagraittes! I tried to buy a vinagraitte from eBay but because they're no longer made it means buying antique, and then there worries about lead, etc.

The search continues.

Children
  • Yes, I imagine it smelt very bad... but different. Probably lots of bad body smells, fish stalls, breweries, veg markets, flood water from rivers breaking the banks, sewage, etc. One thing they wouldn't have had though would have been petrol exhaust, greasy chip shops, pneumatic drills, etc! 
      I have considered buying a vinaigrette off eBay. But I have a concern over lead being in them, and anything that's sterling silver is very expensive. Vinegar, ironically, is one of my biggest smell hates, but there are smells that could help. Something about sticking my nose in someone else's old trinket just doesn't sit kindly with me though... Disappointed

• Wow that's fascinating! Thank you for sharing this! 

I cannot imagine living in the 19th century with all the cacophony of smells that must have been around - and, more specifically, not being able to avoid them! One part of me wants to know what the smell landscapes would have been like, but only briefly and with the 'volume down'!!

Do you think it's possible to make one of these today? Maybe by restoring one of the trinkets, or using something else, and using vinegar or safe essential oils?

• No, not the same as salad vinaigrettes. They are usually antiques now, and usually some sort of metal trinket (sometimes sterling silver) that has a meshed base at the bottom where a little sponge sits. They were popular in the 19th century when ladies of the upper classes traveled through London (because London did/does not discriminate and smells awful to all classes!!) and they would either have pre-soaked the sponge in vinegar (hence name) or more often than not, in perfume. They'd take this everywhere with them and when environmental smells became overwhelming, they'd take comfort from the vinaigrette. Incidentally, back then there was a strong belief in the medical community that smelling bad smells actually caused diseases, so there was extra incentive for people not to breathe in the whiffy streets of town.

• You're welcome! I'm fascinated by your vinaigrette idea - is this the same as salad vinaigrettes? Oil + lemon juice mixture?

Definitely with you on the commercial plug-in scents - they're so bad! I like the essential oils too. That's along the lines I was thinking.

Good luck!