What do you folks do to circumvent/cope with smell sensory overload?

Looking for any new coping strategies!

Parents
  • Hi 

Generally I get out of the location. Simple but effective  terrible in lifts, cars, and aircraft

If I know it is going to happen  i will block my nose with cotton wool. I have done this in my laboratory  years back )  when handling very nasty smelling / headache inducing chemicals. 

• Hi 

Generally I get out of the location. Simple but effective  terrible in lifts, cars, and aircraft

If I know it is going to happen  i will block my nose with cotton wool. I have done this in my laboratory  years back )  when handling very nasty smelling / headache inducing chemicals. 

Children
  • Yes, I always try that first but not always possible to get out, for example smells in a hospital and having to sit in that environment for long periods of time. I cover my face with a scarf. Haven't tried cotton wool to block nose though, might give that a go, thanks!

Btw, I'm brand new on here and trying to navigate this site is difficult for me. I gladly accepted your friend request, but no idea how I could message you/anyone directly on here? Saw your profile and your book interests, and just wanted to say if you're a fan of Aurelius, you might enjoy Seneca: Letter from a Stoic. It's like a 2000 yr old self-help book! ISBN 9780140442106 and I think Blackwells currently has it cheapest. Sorry to rest of people on thread, this is something that I would have sent DM if I could have found such an option....