Diagnosed ASD (I'm officially neurodiverse)

This morning I received a call from the Psychologist at the NHS Assessment Team. He wanted to tell me that they had diagnosed me with ASD and to get my feelings about this before they sent the report to me. I couldn't really answer his questions because I didn't know how I felt about it or what exactly was ASD. He said up until recently I would have received a diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome, but the terminology had changed in recent times. Now, it is known as Autistic Spectrum Disorder. It's one thing going for the assessment and toying with the idea, it's an other thing being diagnosed and told you have autism. It feels as if the world has just shifted under my feet.

***edited***

Parents
  • Haven't really got anything useful to say except I am 'with' you. What I mean is... I can understand what you describe - the difference between the idea and the confirmation. It's different. Go easy on yourself as you process it. You're not alone.

• Haven't really got anything useful to say except I am 'with' you. What I mean is... I can understand what you describe - the difference between the idea and the confirmation. It's different. Go easy on yourself as you process it. You're not alone.

Children
No Data