Newly diagnosed, wondering about burnout.

Hey everyone, I was diagnosed with ASD at 29 only a couple of weeks ago, part of a two year long process.

Recently I've been juggling dating, work (still working from home) and having moved out of my parents and into a house with two friends. For the past few days I've been struggling with motivation. Even drawing or doing anything that's not just sitting there feels overwhelming. I used to go for a long walk and find a quiet beer garden to sit and draw with a drink for an hour or so but even that feels like an empty task.

I've felt burnt out before and I've had time off work but I generally thought it was just a term used in the tech industry.

What are some of the signs of "autistic burnout" especially in adults. Would love to get some clarification so I can start to piece together a kind of personal recovery / recharge plan.

Parents
  • I'd say signs are more personal, internal and connected to what's happening in your life now.

First of all I would stop juggling and do everything separately.

Loss of motivation is a sign of depression whether it's clinical or not, it doesn't have to be something big to depress you and depression in common among people on The Autism Spectrum.  

To try and regain motivation see which of your priorities is most important and push yourself step by step to accomplish that one. So choose an activity, do it for as little as 5 minutes several times then when you feel able to push yourself beyond 5 minutes to 7 minutes and keep working your way upwards step by step.

• I'd say signs are more personal, internal and connected to what's happening in your life now.

First of all I would stop juggling and do everything separately.

Loss of motivation is a sign of depression whether it's clinical or not, it doesn't have to be something big to depress you and depression in common among people on The Autism Spectrum.  

To try and regain motivation see which of your priorities is most important and push yourself step by step to accomplish that one. So choose an activity, do it for as little as 5 minutes several times then when you feel able to push yourself beyond 5 minutes to 7 minutes and keep working your way upwards step by step.

Children
  • You're spot on. I feel as though that much has happened in such a short space of time that I've been unable to process things and it's zapped my battery a bit. The loss of motivation and mental drain is more than likely a result of that. 

I  don't feel as though it's as a result of depression, it's something I've encountered in the past but have been reasonably good at at managing. It's more as a result of jugging too much like you said, but I'm juggling atlas stones and not tennis balls.