Gaming for mental health

Hi all. Does anyone else like to game as a way of destressing and to improve mental well being? If so what are your recommendations? I personally like to jump on the PS4 and now PS5. I find it helps me switch off and is a great way to relax. I play mostly single player stuff. Ghost of Tsushima, Days Gone, etc

Parents
  • I greatly enjoy gaming. It's probably been my main hobby since childhood, but lately I have not enjoyed it as much because the games are not as good in my experience. I found I have not liked any AAA game for perhaps over a decade and if people ask I don't tell them I'm a gamer because I feel like the industry has changed so much that I don't really know what people are talking about when they discuss modern games. I mainly play older games and I mainly play single player games.

All modern games seem to be hyper-social and feature loot boxes and require you to play extremely regularly to get rewards, or they are open world games with no limits on where you can go and loads of interactions with NPC, which I find stressful because I can't do them perfectly or systematically, and I get overwhelmed and don't want to play it because it's basically too much like real life.

The games I like to play are generally single player linear FPS games which I can 100% (so games from the 90s to early 2000s), retro platformers or metroidvanias, and roguelikes that I can spend a long time mastering, in which every game is slightly different but still basically linear in their progression of an individual playthrough (e.g. The Binding of Isaac, Faster Than Light).

• Completely agree. I loved gaming in the PS1 /PS2 era, it was the right balance of challenging and formulaic. Now the games are way too complex with millions of possibilities and its too overwhelming. Bring back Final Fantasy IX on PS1, best game of all time! 

• i find the ps4 generation seemed to want to be a ps1 nostalgia console. all the remakes of classic ps1 games. 

Reply Children
No Data