Do you Internalise or Mask or both ?

Hi, I'm just wondering has anyone ever thought they have done both of these at any time in their lives ?

I often read on here that it is usually females that internalise whereas males mostly mask. Is this correct ?

Looking back, I feel I have done both. I am male. I know there are males here who have said they internalise 

and others I suspect have had the same experience. Perhaps far more than care to admit due to the stereo-typing

that it's only likely to be females who internalise ? In any case, isn't the outcome and diagnoses the same at the end of the day ?

I.e Exhaustion ?

What is your experience ? 

Parents
  • I internalise or suppress many of my autistic traits but I would say that internalising is still a form of masking- passive masking. When you internalise your instinctive autistic traits you are still appearing neurotypical to the outside world. I think there are two types of masking- passive and active. Active masking is when you study, learn and emulate neurotypical behaviour. I think autistic males may internalise or use passive masking more often than females. Autistic females may be more likely to adopt active masking.

However, masking and autism is too complex for specific gender presentations sometimes as ‘male’ and ‘female’ phenotypes could become stereotypes.

• I internalise or suppress many of my autistic traits but I would say that internalising is still a form of masking- passive masking. When you internalise your instinctive autistic traits you are still appearing neurotypical to the outside world. I think there are two types of masking- passive and active. Active masking is when you study, learn and emulate neurotypical behaviour. I think autistic males may internalise or use passive masking more often than females. Autistic females may be more likely to adopt active masking.

However, masking and autism is too complex for specific gender presentations sometimes as ‘male’ and ‘female’ phenotypes could become stereotypes.

Children