Do you Internalise or Mask or both ?

Hi, I'm just wondering has anyone ever thought they have done both of these at any time in their lives ?

I often read on here that it is usually females that internalise whereas males mostly mask. Is this correct ?

Looking back, I feel I have done both. I am male. I know there are males here who have said they internalise 

and others I suspect have had the same experience. Perhaps far more than care to admit due to the stereo-typing

that it's only likely to be females who internalise ? In any case, isn't the outcome and diagnoses the same at the end of the day ?

I.e Exhaustion ?

What is your experience ? 

Parents
  • Mask - all day long. It's a system 1 response for me. I have never internalised, but I did experiment with EXternalising - that's right, exposing everyone around me to my unique thoughts and feelings - hey, if I have to put up with the poisonous residue of people still being able to smoke in the streets then they can damn well put up with the residue of my harmless autism - I recommend it, it's liberating

• Mask - all day long. It's a system 1 response for me. I have never internalised, but I did experiment with EXternalising - that's right, exposing everyone around me to my unique thoughts and feelings - hey, if I have to put up with the poisonous residue of people still being able to smoke in the streets then they can damn well put up with the residue of my harmless autism - I recommend it, it's liberating

Children
  • Would love too but even the thought of externalising as you put it makes me anxious and probably even scared I feel like a lot of people are not "ready" to hear what I have to say about what goes on in my head and what I have always held back from them. They all have this perfect idealisation of me in their heads and if I did what you do that idealisation would shatter no doubt.