Do you Internalise or Mask or both ?

Hi, I'm just wondering has anyone ever thought they have done both of these at any time in their lives ?

I often read on here that it is usually females that internalise whereas males mostly mask. Is this correct ?

Looking back, I feel I have done both. I am male. I know there are males here who have said they internalise 

and others I suspect have had the same experience. Perhaps far more than care to admit due to the stereo-typing

that it's only likely to be females who internalise ? In any case, isn't the outcome and diagnoses the same at the end of the day ?

I.e Exhaustion ?

What is your experience ? 

Parents
  • I definitely do both. I've always read that women mask more than men and that's why they're less obviously autistic than male. 

I am extremely aware of my masking since my diagnosis and I'm feeling really tired of having nobody to say it aloud to who will understand. Typing it still feels internalised to me, even though your responses are external. The lack of identity behind the usernames doesn't make me feel less alone in this journey really. 

I think post-diagnosis it would be really useful to have a peer support network. I think there may be a social group in my area but covid has impacted on that and I don't know if it is operating online. It is one of my questions for my follow up appointment on Friday. 

Interaction is so exhausting for me. It doesn't surprise me at all that so many autistic people are unemployed or underemployed. 

• I think your inclinations are so right. It's absolutely exhausting and we would definitely benefit from a support/friend network. 

Reply Children
No Data