Do you Internalise or Mask or both ?

Hi, I'm just wondering has anyone ever thought they have done both of these at any time in their lives ?

I often read on here that it is usually females that internalise whereas males mostly mask. Is this correct ?

Looking back, I feel I have done both. I am male. I know there are males here who have said they internalise 

and others I suspect have had the same experience. Perhaps far more than care to admit due to the stereo-typing

that it's only likely to be females who internalise ? In any case, isn't the outcome and diagnoses the same at the end of the day ?

I.e Exhaustion ?

What is your experience ? 

Parents
  • I'm male at birth but feel rather more non-binary/androgynous than male at heart - so ... analyse/categorise this as best one can Slight smile

I also both internalise and mask.

I definitely do the 'copy and paste' thing of working out how people respond and doing my best to fit in, within reason. I don't mind being a bit different at times - situations depending. If I need to mask to protect myself from danger (rough neighbourhoods and all that), I'll definitely mask, for example. At work, I'll try and mask a fair old bit (a lot?).

At home, I internalise a lot. I have loads of self-harm scars from lots of internalisation. I'll also try and ensure I process things internally and try to understand things to find peace. Which I would call a kind of internalisation(?)

There are a fair heap of guys I know (particularly from uni time) who internalised and self-harmed, so I wouldn't think it's a female-only thing.

• I'm male at birth but feel rather more non-binary/androgynous than male at heart - so ... analyse/categorise this as best one can Slight smile

I also both internalise and mask.

I definitely do the 'copy and paste' thing of working out how people respond and doing my best to fit in, within reason. I don't mind being a bit different at times - situations depending. If I need to mask to protect myself from danger (rough neighbourhoods and all that), I'll definitely mask, for example. At work, I'll try and mask a fair old bit (a lot?).

At home, I internalise a lot. I have loads of self-harm scars from lots of internalisation. I'll also try and ensure I process things internally and try to understand things to find peace. Which I would call a kind of internalisation(?)

There are a fair heap of guys I know (particularly from uni time) who internalised and self-harmed, so I wouldn't think it's a female-only thing.

Children