Hyperempathy

One thing I find ironic is how neurotypicals always say that we have no empathy, when in fact the opposite is true... I have hyper empathy, which is common in autistic people, apparently.

I can pick up people's mood straight away, and I have a particular soft spot for animals. The other day I started watching the documentary "Blackfish" on Netflix about killer whales in captivity, and it caused me immense distress because of how the animals are treated. It took me a while to calm down after that and I still feel a bit sad about it at the moment.

Does anyone else get distressed when watching something sad on TV?

Parents
  • I can watch really violent stuff, see graphic images--no problem. If I see someone's even about to 'start' crying, I'm balled up----it's not something I can control. My husband has to hear me watching youtube in the morning going, "NOPE---too early for tears, morning time, nope" and I turn my head/video off. I can't stand to see any violence done to animals..... I seem to fluctuate between feeling highly sensitive/highly empathetic to completely desensitized. I know many people found the 'Nightstalker' really offensive....I was able to watch it without issue. However, I did have a panic attack in a theatre 7 yrs back when I went to watch Saw II--someone had to carry me out.   

• The Saw films are horrific - they're horrific and gory for the sake of it, which is completely unnecessary. Why they are so popular is beyond me.

Reply Children
No Data