Hyperempathy

One thing I find ironic is how neurotypicals always say that we have no empathy, when in fact the opposite is true... I have hyper empathy, which is common in autistic people, apparently.

I can pick up people's mood straight away, and I have a particular soft spot for animals. The other day I started watching the documentary "Blackfish" on Netflix about killer whales in captivity, and it caused me immense distress because of how the animals are treated. It took me a while to calm down after that and I still feel a bit sad about it at the moment.

Does anyone else get distressed when watching something sad on TV?

Parents
  • Not so much, nowadays. But I used to get upset at certain things on TV that we're too close to the bone.

I'm no Animal Rights person, but I can understand the bond between a pet and its human owner. I wish that I treated our dog better whenever I was younger. I was like Lenny from 'Of mice and men' whenever it came to animals.

• Not so much, nowadays. But I used to get upset at certain things on TV that we're too close to the bone.

I'm no Animal Rights person, but I can understand the bond between a pet and its human owner. I wish that I treated our dog better whenever I was younger. I was like Lenny from 'Of mice and men' whenever it came to animals.

Children
No Data