Hyperempathy

One thing I find ironic is how neurotypicals always say that we have no empathy, when in fact the opposite is true... I have hyper empathy, which is common in autistic people, apparently.

I can pick up people's mood straight away, and I have a particular soft spot for animals. The other day I started watching the documentary "Blackfish" on Netflix about killer whales in captivity, and it caused me immense distress because of how the animals are treated. It took me a while to calm down after that and I still feel a bit sad about it at the moment.

Does anyone else get distressed when watching something sad on TV?

Parents
  • I'm feel like I'm some of both certain things I can be hyperempathetic and other times I'll be hypo, however it fluctuates... it's strange. One consistent thing I have trouble with is animals I can get very emotional about dogs and my dogs if something is wrong.

• I love dogs, they are my faves. One day I want to own one!

I can occasionally "switch off" empathy if it gets too much. For example, if I'm talking to someone and they talk about something that upsets me, I just switch off and nod/say "mmm" at the right moments lol. Also, when I was volunteering at a hospital last year, I sort of switched myself off when I was there so I could do my job, and then would get all emotional about all the suffering people when I got home lol

• They're GREAT! I have Dog de Bordeaux puppy 5 months old. And I cannot tell you how amazing they are for anxiety there's not judgement or opinion just happiness all they want is for their human to be happy and calm. I definitely have extremely low empathy for people it''s very difficult to get me emotional with issues that involve other people I think that's why I don't have friends and my relationships don't work out I just don't understand people very well.

• I got diagnosed at 30. I never cared about social hierarchy and I have a tendency to call people out on BS, which is probably why people don't like me. Women aren't supposed to have opinions.

• He's called Humphrey, I saw a post a few days about how NT's perceive social situations and interactions and I was just simply blown away I had no idea. I can't remember exactly what it said but it was something on the lines of. They always have instinctual understanding of 'their place' in a social hierarchy and how high up they are and others and they can "feel" the mood in an interaction with others It's just like. How is that possible and how did no one pick up on my lack of understanding when I was younger. (I'm 22 and got diagnosed 3 weeks ago)

• Aw, they're adorable, with their big floppy chops! What is your puppy's name?

I think I have limited understanding of NTs, like their obsession with status, money etc. I have very few friends, but my relationships never work out - one of the main criticisms I got from exes is that I am socially embarrassing... clearly the most important thing...

• Aw, they're adorable, with their big floppy chops! What is your puppy's name?

I think I have limited understanding of NTs, like their obsession with status, money etc. I have very few friends, but my relationships never work out - one of the main criticisms I got from exes is that I am socially embarrassing... clearly the most important thing...

Children
  • I got diagnosed at 30. I never cared about social hierarchy and I have a tendency to call people out on BS, which is probably why people don't like me. Women aren't supposed to have opinions.

• He's called Humphrey, I saw a post a few days about how NT's perceive social situations and interactions and I was just simply blown away I had no idea. I can't remember exactly what it said but it was something on the lines of. They always have instinctual understanding of 'their place' in a social hierarchy and how high up they are and others and they can "feel" the mood in an interaction with others It's just like. How is that possible and how did no one pick up on my lack of understanding when I was younger. (I'm 22 and got diagnosed 3 weeks ago)