Hyperempathy

One thing I find ironic is how neurotypicals always say that we have no empathy, when in fact the opposite is true... I have hyper empathy, which is common in autistic people, apparently.

I can pick up people's mood straight away, and I have a particular soft spot for animals. The other day I started watching the documentary "Blackfish" on Netflix about killer whales in captivity, and it caused me immense distress because of how the animals are treated. It took me a while to calm down after that and I still feel a bit sad about it at the moment.

Does anyone else get distressed when watching something sad on TV?

Parents
  • There are so many things I can't watch - especially invoking animals or innocent minds.      Just reading the word "Blackfish" has me tearing up.

"Secret Life of the Zoo" is risky for me too.

• Ah shoot, sorry didn't mean to make you sad!

Yeah I remember when everyone and their momma was obsessed with Tiger King last year... it's so awful. I didn't get it. I remember posting on Facebook at the time saying how I am baffled how people like that show, and just got a load of replies like "lighten up snowflake" and that it's "entertaining"... wtf

• Ah shoot, sorry didn't mean to make you sad!

Yeah I remember when everyone and their momma was obsessed with Tiger King last year... it's so awful. I didn't get it. I remember posting on Facebook at the time saying how I am baffled how people like that show, and just got a load of replies like "lighten up snowflake" and that it's "entertaining"... wtf

Children

• I have noticed that NTs seem to take joy out of other people's suffering - it makes them feel better about themselves. Their whole life seems to be a never-ending game of one-upmanship.

Once appropriate behavioural explorations (no matter how right or wrong they may be) become traumatically disassociated by way of inappropriate parental injunctions, such as being yelled or screamed at instead of being calmly instructed about what is good and bad conduct ~ the screaming and yelling becomes a mimicked unconscious, subconscious or preconscious behaviourism, so the joy experienced in another person's suffering is firstly a result of identification (i.e., "Me too!") with either the accident of innocent explorations (slipping over) or being humiliated (being yelled at), and the joy of other people's suffering is not actually joy ~ but hysteria as a limbic integration of emotional trauma and distress.

Hysteric laughing is recognised as a more 'side-splitting' laughter with a drunken disorienting effect for the experiencer ~ and is more animalistic and forced, whereas belly laughter which is much healthier with more an enlightening and vitalising effect for the experiencer, involving funny-ha-ha humour rather than funny-odd hysteria.

Once a child has become entrapped by their 'critical' Parent behaviourisms (their mask self), their 'wounded' Child (from all the yelling and screaming or whatever that has been experienced and observed) is consciously disassociated (making them unconscious, subconscious or preconscious in their sensibilities) and therefore they more or less blindly and habitually seek out one or more other people to identify with to distract themselves from the internal distress of their birth, preadolescence, adolescence, adulthood or even their elderhood too, particular if therapeutic interventions or healthier alternatives are not discovered. :-(

• Status is deeply primal - it's all about having the most resources, biggest territory, most access to food, strongest / most offspring, best job title, most money, best house - it's basically bird / dinosaur nest building and best mating dance.    People still claim to be 'evolved'.

• I don't understand their ridiculous obsession with status. Also, they let people with a high social status get away with anything, and turn a blind eye to their bad behaviour. Whereas those who have a low social status get demonised for every little thing they do "wrong".

• That's a status thing - their most important value - if someone else is doing badly, then they are doing better - they win. 

• I have noticed that NTs seem to take joy out of other people's suffering - it makes them feel better about themselves. Their whole life seems to be a never-ending game of one-upmanship.

• Yep - as long as it happens to someone else, it's all good.  Disappointed

• Yeah and they seem to find horrific stuff "entertaining"... I mean, it explains things like bullfighting, gladiators, public executions and other horrible stuff that has happened in history.

• NTs - everything is disposable.