Trying to tackle speeding in my local area

I've just written an email to a sympathetic local councillor asking them to install average speed cameras on two busy roads I live near where speeding is happening by often the same drivers every single day.

One of the roads I'm near is a 20 m.p.h. zone and is consistently ignored. Another is a faster road but one on which especially young drivers are showing off and being anti-social on, I believe possibly as a way to test the waters of what they can get away with, and in the typical fashion of young rebelliousness. While I appreciate speeding isn't the worst thing in the world it's a noise nuisance and in my opinion affects local businesses and the desirability of an area. 

If I was opening a business I'd rather be somewhere where people are somewhat polite and respectful. Hopefully the issue will manage to be resolved.

Parents
  • Probably not overly practical but someone down our way who had pleaded with the the council to install speed cameras down her road (right near a school) went out every afternoon at school kicking out time stood in her front garden with a hairdryer. She pointed said hairdryer at every car zooming past as if tracking it. The hairdryer was a similar shape to the hand held cameras that traffic police use. It worked! There was a lot less speeding from then on, although I’m not sure if it’s still working. Sorry, not very practical but quite a funny, heartwarming story.

• Probably not overly practical but someone down our way who had pleaded with the the council to install speed cameras down her road (right near a school) went out every afternoon at school kicking out time stood in her front garden with a hairdryer. She pointed said hairdryer at every car zooming past as if tracking it. The hairdryer was a similar shape to the hand held cameras that traffic police use. It worked! There was a lot less speeding from then on, although I’m not sure if it’s still working. Sorry, not very practical but quite a funny, heartwarming story.

Children
No Data