Learning difficulties and difficulties understanding the world

Hi there :) 

I am currently awaiting an assessment on the NHS following the ongoing difficulties I have had throughout my life (I'm 30 now). 

I was wondering if anyone empathised with this...

I really struggle with understanding. Understanding the world. Understanding social situations. I feel like I am constantly trying to make sense of my situation, whatever that situation may be. It's hard to put it into words. It's like a constant state of confusion about the world. I feel like I am always playing catch up with the people around me.

I really benefit from teachers and support workers as they help me to understand learning and situations. I find it really difficult to make sense of things independently. But I want to become more independent! 

Would love other peoples perspectives to help me to express what I am going through.

Thanks. Hugging

• I would say everything is known in comparison. When I have difficulties in studying, I usually turn to my assistant www.academicghostwriter.org/ Who quickly solves all questions. It makes me more successful and productive.

• i wouldnt say i had learning difficulties... my parents thought i had and tried to get me assessed for learning difficulties but that came back as me being smarter than the average kid my age lol so that probably made me fall under any diagnostic radar as people viewed anything as a learning difficulty when autism and may other personality disorders are not learning difficulties.

but developmentally yeah everyone force rushed their childhood while i took childhood slow at a normal pace making it seem as if i was behind others. thats societies fault for not allowing kids to be kids.

• I want to say that there have always been difficulties in education, it is difficult to realize this, but constant work and study are necessary

• I agree with you. I have struggled massively in my life. What has helped me recently is every morning I say to myself what my position is in the world and think about what I want to achieve that day. It doesn't have to be massive. I would spend most of the day sometimes not knowing who I was or where I was going. I would only get my head around it by the evening some days. I too was very confused about the world and my place in it.

I agree with the playing catch up too. Everyone else's lives are going at 100mph and I don't feel like I've even got started yet. Even a small conversation for me is a success to be applauded. Think of small steps to gain your independence, it won't all come at once. 

• By independent do you mean financially? Or emotionally... and how deep would you like to go! The rabbit hole is seemingly unending. 

I sought guidance though several paths. I took a logic class which helped with the ability to learn independently and hunted down philosophers I felt connected to in order to gain better understanding. 

The current system of economic exchange we live in is based largely on competition and from what I know, that is not a natural Autistic state of being There's a NZ "neurodivergent anthropologist" on twitter called JornBettin who has a lot of interesting perspectives on this. 

So I guess the question is what lengths are you willing to go? If you dive into the fantastical notion of currency / money or if you dive into sociology, would these be interesting? Of sociology, I quite enjoy Erich Fromm. Highly underrated yet very accessible and proposes quite practical solutions to complex problems. 

• Hiya

What you're feeling is quite normal.     Somehow, 'normies' seem to be able to magically learn social interaction rules - almost by osmosis.    Smiley       

We tend to need things spelled out for us - very carefully and clearly until we have the hang of each individual step.      It's like ww need a "Jiminy Cricket" sat on our shoulder giving us clues about what's really going on in any situation.      Trainer-wheels, if you will.  Smiley

The other problem is we live in a world of fight-or-flight anxiety - so our brain is in high-speed situational awareness mode - but this takes all the spare processing from the speech-processing part - you're so busy looking for the attacking tiger that you can't hear the nuances of the conversations.