getting help as a yet to be diagnosed adult

Hi I am a 51yo guy and am really struggling and need help. I always knew I was diffrent, have struggled through life but have always worked and from the outside I have a normal life. At the start of 2019 I went to my doctor to get refered on the NHS, something I am still waiting for. I had spent months looking at stuff online and really thinking about things and am convinced I have ASD/asbergers. With lockdowns and lack of being forced to have social interaction my issues have certianlly got worse and I am increasingly finding normal things so much more difficult. I am increasingly frightened that going forward I am going to be unable to hold it together and lead that almost normal life that I have struggled to build.

I have had no therapy what so ever and have no idea what that might involve/cost? A few years ago I did ring talk plus about depression but this was before I really found out about ASD. Any ideas on how I can talk to somebody who is experienced with ASD in older adults and will answer my questions? I am just concerned that without my diagnosis nobody is going to be interested.

Any ideas appreciated.

Rob

Parents
  • Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear how you are feeling.  I hope some of us can be helpful or at least lend an ear.

Personally, I've given up with the NHS service and have found my own counsellor.  The price has suddenly become more affordable, actually due to lock down.  As they are having to work online, they're passing on their savings on room hire and travel to the client.  It's costing me £30 a session.  Also, the NHS tends to only give six sessions of this or that and as I am researching adaptations in psychological help for ASD...well, catalogues all the issues I've ever had with the services, and one such adaptation does seem to be we need a lot more time...

If you want to go down that route, this is the website for counsellors and therapists who are properly qualified below.  You can search who might be in your area and then ask them what experience they might have with ASD.  Whilst still waiting for a diagnosis, if you think you have traits, might be good to find someone who can adapt "as if", until the assessment comes round.

www.bapc.co.uk

If it's any consolation, I'm in the same boat (with different issues).  It's all a bit of shock to me that I could be ASD and I'm awaiting an assessment.  Shall we say that I'm hearing on a daily basis (Thank You, Plastic,lol), stuff that is true for me and others have always found a tad odd, hmmmmmm... this forum does make me feel like my whole life just came into focus.

• Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear how you are feeling.  I hope some of us can be helpful or at least lend an ear.

Personally, I've given up with the NHS service and have found my own counsellor.  The price has suddenly become more affordable, actually due to lock down.  As they are having to work online, they're passing on their savings on room hire and travel to the client.  It's costing me £30 a session.  Also, the NHS tends to only give six sessions of this or that and as I am researching adaptations in psychological help for ASD...well, catalogues all the issues I've ever had with the services, and one such adaptation does seem to be we need a lot more time...

If you want to go down that route, this is the website for counsellors and therapists who are properly qualified below.  You can search who might be in your area and then ask them what experience they might have with ASD.  Whilst still waiting for a diagnosis, if you think you have traits, might be good to find someone who can adapt "as if", until the assessment comes round.

www.bapc.co.uk

If it's any consolation, I'm in the same boat (with different issues).  It's all a bit of shock to me that I could be ASD and I'm awaiting an assessment.  Shall we say that I'm hearing on a daily basis (Thank You, Plastic,lol), stuff that is true for me and others have always found a tad odd, hmmmmmm... this forum does make me feel like my whole life just came into focus.

Children
  • Thanks for that, I will look into it. I think just talking to a professional would be a massive help. My wifes friend son has ASD/Aspergers but his is serere like he can never live alone etc. I thought well thats not me , I can't have the same thing. Only when I really dug deep did I learn about the spectrum, it has really been a revelation.