Virtual assessment- ADOS

I've been trying to resist the urge to ask this question - sometimes I think you can know too much and you then feel rehearsed - but has anyone done the ADOS virtually (via teams, zoom etc). I've got my assessment on Monday. I've already had two lengthy telephone calls which went through my childhood development and current life and I've been told to expect this final one to be around 30 minutes with someone asking me things and another observing me. I hate the word "observing". I get "observed" at work here and there for assessments and it is my least favourite thing to happen. Having someone looking at you and having no idea what they are thinking is one of those things that gets me feeling most anxious. 

I'm particularly interested in those who have done this remotely. I know the outcome of tomorrow can be that it is inconclusive and they need to wait until we can get seen face to face. I thought it wasn't really the case that we would look autistic but this process seems to surely suggest otherwise? 

Parents
  • I'm waiting for the result now. Via text message before 5pm today. I've got a headache. 

• I'm autistic 

Don't really know what to think, feel or do.

• Hi Michelle, I'm happy you've got an answer at last. But, as I've just said to another newly diagnosed on the forum, there is a lot of difference between thinking you're ASD and acutally having a confirmed diagnosis, so give yourself a little time to get used to it.

Oh, and from one fairly new member to another, welcome to the club.

Ben

• Thank you. I'm going to take small steps and think things through carefully when it comes to disclosure and asking for support. I'm definitely mindful that a lot of people don't know much about autism and what that actually looks like day to day across the spectrum. We clearly aren't all rain man or have learning disabilities. I'm really glad to be here though as having people to talk to who understand this process has been a huge help.

• Thank you. I'm going to take small steps and think things through carefully when it comes to disclosure and asking for support. I'm definitely mindful that a lot of people don't know much about autism and what that actually looks like day to day across the spectrum. We clearly aren't all rain man or have learning disabilities. I'm really glad to be here though as having people to talk to who understand this process has been a huge help.

Children
No Data