Virtual assessment- ADOS

I've been trying to resist the urge to ask this question - sometimes I think you can know too much and you then feel rehearsed - but has anyone done the ADOS virtually (via teams, zoom etc). I've got my assessment on Monday. I've already had two lengthy telephone calls which went through my childhood development and current life and I've been told to expect this final one to be around 30 minutes with someone asking me things and another observing me. I hate the word "observing". I get "observed" at work here and there for assessments and it is my least favourite thing to happen. Having someone looking at you and having no idea what they are thinking is one of those things that gets me feeling most anxious. 

I'm particularly interested in those who have done this remotely. I know the outcome of tomorrow can be that it is inconclusive and they need to wait until we can get seen face to face. I thought it wasn't really the case that we would look autistic but this process seems to surely suggest otherwise? 

Parents
  • I'm waiting for the result now. Via text message before 5pm today. I've got a headache. 

• I'm autistic 

Don't really know what to think, feel or do.

• Glad you finally got closure. Best wishes.

• I suppose the room analogy makes sense in terms of closure. I just feel there is more revisiting of past rooms at the moment... 

The revisiting 'past rooms' analogy very much applied for me also.

I had planned a year out to do that more emotionally, without any comparative considerations, as I had had many emotional breakdowns due to others over the decades so being alone to let all the emotions balance and even out first was rather essential for me.

Then the next year I did the intellectual bit by reading 'Look Me In the Eye' by John Elder Robison and 'The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome' by Tony Attwood ~ in order to relate with myself as actually having Asperger's Syndrome and re-narrate my contextual history in developmental and educational terms, with things like accusations 'of being lazy and needing to apply myself more' needed re-framing as me being for the most part exhausted and traumatised and needing as such better and healthier facilitation by others. 

Then later that year (back in the November of 2006) I got on the Internet for the first time and tried to become a community member at Wrong Planet (which felt very apt descriptively for me), but much to my confusion then my email address was not recognised as being valid in America, so next was the website here.

• I suppose the room analogy makes sense in terms of closure. I just feel there is more revisiting of past rooms at the moment... 

• Hard to describe it as closure as I feel it has opened more things up to me for me to analyse and pick apart!

As you close the door from one room you enter another room or else at least the enclosure of a garden or the exposure of the world at large type of closure perhaps?

I'm definitely glad that I have done this though as I have never understood many things and now they do make sense, or at least more sense than they did previously.

The resolution factor for me was immense.

I'm just wiped out with the intensity of all of this though. 

I lost three months due to stress induced seizures (as I had to go to a neurological unit quite some miles away) which really wore me out, and forty five years of psychological and physiological decompression along with it ~ just totally wiping me out too.

Another thing to be some extent ready for is the rest of the diagnostic hangover now, so if as a social worker you have any familiarity with bereavement protocols ~ they will come in very useful, what with your fake self having been lost to your real self sort of thing, and adjustment as such can take about four and half years to balance out.

A great deal of personnel 're-narration' in historical and emotional terms is often required.

Anyway though, welcome to the officially diagnosed spectrum of being Autistic! :-)

• Hard to describe it as closure as I feel it has opened more things up to me for me to analyse and pick apart! I'm definitely glad that I have done this though as I have never understood many things and now they do make sense, or at least more sense than they did previously. I'm just wiped out with the intensity of all of this though. 

• Hard to describe it as closure as I feel it has opened more things up to me for me to analyse and pick apart! I'm definitely glad that I have done this though as I have never understood many things and now they do make sense, or at least more sense than they did previously. I'm just wiped out with the intensity of all of this though. 

Children

The revisiting 'past rooms' analogy very much applied for me also.

I had planned a year out to do that more emotionally, without any comparative considerations, as I had had many emotional breakdowns due to others over the decades so being alone to let all the emotions balance and even out first was rather essential for me.

Then the next year I did the intellectual bit by reading 'Look Me In the Eye' by John Elder Robison and 'The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome' by Tony Attwood ~ in order to relate with myself as actually having Asperger's Syndrome and re-narrate my contextual history in developmental and educational terms, with things like accusations 'of being lazy and needing to apply myself more' needed re-framing as me being for the most part exhausted and traumatised and needing as such better and healthier facilitation by others. 

Then later that year (back in the November of 2006) I got on the Internet for the first time and tried to become a community member at Wrong Planet (which felt very apt descriptively for me), but much to my confusion then my email address was not recognised as being valid in America, so next was the website here.

• Hard to describe it as closure as I feel it has opened more things up to me for me to analyse and pick apart!

As you close the door from one room you enter another room or else at least the enclosure of a garden or the exposure of the world at large type of closure perhaps?

I'm definitely glad that I have done this though as I have never understood many things and now they do make sense, or at least more sense than they did previously.

The resolution factor for me was immense.

I'm just wiped out with the intensity of all of this though. 

I lost three months due to stress induced seizures (as I had to go to a neurological unit quite some miles away) which really wore me out, and forty five years of psychological and physiological decompression along with it ~ just totally wiping me out too.

Another thing to be some extent ready for is the rest of the diagnostic hangover now, so if as a social worker you have any familiarity with bereavement protocols ~ they will come in very useful, what with your fake self having been lost to your real self sort of thing, and adjustment as such can take about four and half years to balance out.

A great deal of personnel 're-narration' in historical and emotional terms is often required.

Anyway though, welcome to the officially diagnosed spectrum of being Autistic! :-)