Diagnosis without involving parent

I understand for a diagnosis it's likely that the diagnosis service will want to talk to a parent or someone who knew me as a young child. This is an idea that utterly fills me with dread for a whole bunch of reasons and has been the biggest barrier to me seeking a diagnosis. Has anyone here been diagnosed without involvement of a parent? Or refused a diagnosis because they couldn't/wouldn't involve a parent?

Parents
  • You don't need anyone  - you can do it on your own - I did.

The big problem with parents is they can accidentally 'normalise' everything odd you did as a child - and there's a good chance one of them is undiagnosed too.   Smiley

If you are on the spectrum, any good interviewer will spot it a mile away - you can't hide it if they know what to look for or what to ask.

• You don't need anyone  - you can do it on your own - I did.

The big problem with parents is they can accidentally 'normalise' everything odd you did as a child - and there's a good chance one of them is undiagnosed too.   Smiley

If you are on the spectrum, any good interviewer will spot it a mile away - you can't hide it if they know what to look for or what to ask.

Children