My son feeling Negative!

Has anyone experienced... how negative a person is with Aspergers? My son is finding it hard atm with college work, it’s hard actually to put into words! He’s so negative. But he knows he is different to others and started crying to me about it, he’s frustrated and I just don’t know where to turn! He is 20 years old in June. I get scared of how is mind is set, as I remember him telling e he wanted to die in his twenties and it plays on my mind. 
I feel like I need to go away and look up what to say to him, as he is so intelligent but his way of thinking is different. As we all have our own experience of depression and anxiety. I feel Aspergers is in another level totally! 
thanx for ready hope you can advice ;) 

Parents
  • I can only guess but I imagine he feels like he is wrestling with the world? A world not set up to give him a place to be himself.

He is perhaps turning the world over in his mind like a rubixs cube wondering how to solve it. How to make it fit himself, or maybe wondering if he can some how learn to fit it? I find the former more likely. His depression and anxiety don't exist in a vacuum there are tangible things driving them even if you don't understand why they do.

You can try to understand why, to map all the ways in which the world he lives in digs into him making him feel dreadful ... but even when you do you may end up just facing the same set of knotty problems he feels he can't solve on his own. But at least you could face them together. But be warned trying to fix the world to make it give a place to some one it doesn't want to give a place to can effectively feel like declaring war on the world. Still if you're going to go to war better to go with an ally than on your own, which is where your son probably finds himself now.

... but what do I know I'm extrapolating a lot.

• That’s a good way of looking at it. “Wrestling with the world” 

Reply Children
No Data