No Support

Hi there,

Just wondering, does anyone else feel as though there is zero support out there? I have searched and searched including on this website and it just seems the only real support is for children, parents/guardians/carers of autistic children or severely autistic adults. I am high functioning autistic with a diagnosis in the past couple of years. It feels as though no one cares. Once I got my diagnosis there was zero follow up at all. Nothing. Is it not the people who have always struggled through life and never known why that need support? Of course children and severely autistic people need support, but it feels as though high functioning adults are completely left behind as if because we are high functioning we can cope on our own. I have been completely and utterly lost since graduating university with no direction and no purpose. I am one of the 88% of adults with autism who are out of work, but there is just no support to help those 88%. 

I feel like I am slowly going insane and no one seems to care or want to help. 

Am I the only one?

Sophie

Parents
  • In my health authority after diagnosis you may receive up to two follow up sessions. 

Wow. 

I was lucky to have a private diagnosis and 1 session for me and 1 for my wife, thanks to a charity who paid for my diagnosis, but then I was on my own. 

I might have been able to access CBT via my GP or self-referred but doubted its value to me as it is very symptom and underlying thinking focused. If my thinking is a function of my identity I don't really want to engage with something that would want to change it. Recognising if and when I am brooding on something (persevering) or anxious is probably enough insight for me at the moment.

• I had CBT before my diagnosis and I found it a complete waste of time. It just wasn't what I needed at all. I completely agree with you, its not my way of thinking that needs to change. 

Reply Children
No Data