Break Up of Relationship

Hi All,

This is my first post. I've been following the forums for a while, trying to glean tips and coping strategies that I can use in my own life. I was diagnosed on the autism spectrum in my mid-twenties and I'm now in my mid-thirties.

Unfortunately, I'm just going through a break up with my partner of 12 years. This was the only intimate relationship I've ever experienced, so I'm feeling a little apprehensive about it all. You could say I'm worried, lost and confused. It has been a long time coming, largely because I just can't adapt to her style, and she has never been able to adapt to my "autistic traits".

I think whilst going through this, it would be nice to develop some kind of a support network with those who may have, or are, struggling with similar situations, whilst also being on the autism spectrum.

• You resurrected a 3 year old thread just to write something as insensitive as that?!

• Hi i had a partner for 2 years then they started to hate me and not want me any more i was rearly shocked and confused.

know im single and still wondering why did they leave me.

• Thanks, I agree it is hard work to stay together and seems easier to split.

I am also thinking about letting people at work know as i get frustrated quite a bit.

• Hi BJS. Sorry to hear about your own break up. It is sad, and although it is only my opinion, I think they use this "we have grown too far apart" cliché as an excuse not to further invest in the relationship. It seems to me that people enjoy some of the rare benefits we have (loyalty, security, dependability), but don't want to tolerate or help support the drawbacks.

I'm debating whether it is appropriate or not to make work colleagues aware about it so that they have some understanding going forward of outside influences on work, or whether this is something one keeps to oneself.

• Hi, I'm just going through a breakup as well.  I'm not good at chatting so we stopped talking a while ago and just drifted apart, i found out i was autistic recently and have tried to get her to understand how i feel etc but she says we have grown too far apart.  I'm pretty devastated at the moment.

• Hi, I am quite new to the forums. Recently assessed. Also in my thirties and hoping to glean tips. Sorry to hear about the breakup and apprehension.