Forever losing track of my things

Recently diagnosed with ASD. I am really bad at keeping track of my stuff. I am always losing things. I end up with two of something because I can't find the first one and then eventually find where I put it. It's so frustrating. I also don't get why people ask where is the last place you had it like if I knew that I could find it. I have a grounding tool that I really like but it's like it's vanished into thin air. Is this an autistic thing or just a me thing? Also any tips for stop losing things. routerlogin

Parents
  • I'm not sure if it is an autistic trait, but I always lost/misplaced things, like keys etc. I developed several ways to cope with this

For things like keys, I have had periods where I just keep them on me at all times- for example, I used to wear my key and university card around my neck at all times (I even sometimes forgot to take it off at night- the only thing you have to watch out for is that if you do take it off, you create a set routine so that you remember to put it on every morning.). 

The second way I cope is that I create a fixed routine when using the item, which forces me to not forget it/ always put it in the same place. For example, I recently lived in a temporary flat share with people I did not know (it was horrible...) so I created a routine where before leaving the flat I always locked my room and then put the key in my pocket- the key to the flat and my room were on the same holder so by doing this I made sure that I would not leave the flat without the key to the flat. 

All my examples so far involve keys but creating a routine/ placing the item always in the same place also works for other objects and things. It takes some time to establish these habits but then it helps me lots. I always lost/misplaced my credit card... as I was putting it in different places (in pocket, wallet etc etc.). Now I have taught myself that it always goes straight back in the wallet... and it works most of the time

Not sure if this helps...  . It does seem to work for me ... before I figured out these coping techniques I was locking myself out all the time and constantly misplacing things (now it still happens occasionally but it is so much better.) 

If you tell us what kind of things you loose, maybe it will be easier to give some more applicable advice... 

• I'm not sure if it is an autistic trait, but I always lost/misplaced things, like keys etc. I developed several ways to cope with this

For things like keys, I have had periods where I just keep them on me at all times- for example, I used to wear my key and university card around my neck at all times (I even sometimes forgot to take it off at night- the only thing you have to watch out for is that if you do take it off, you create a set routine so that you remember to put it on every morning.). 

The second way I cope is that I create a fixed routine when using the item, which forces me to not forget it/ always put it in the same place. For example, I recently lived in a temporary flat share with people I did not know (it was horrible...) so I created a routine where before leaving the flat I always locked my room and then put the key in my pocket- the key to the flat and my room were on the same holder so by doing this I made sure that I would not leave the flat without the key to the flat. 

All my examples so far involve keys but creating a routine/ placing the item always in the same place also works for other objects and things. It takes some time to establish these habits but then it helps me lots. I always lost/misplaced my credit card... as I was putting it in different places (in pocket, wallet etc etc.). Now I have taught myself that it always goes straight back in the wallet... and it works most of the time

Not sure if this helps...  . It does seem to work for me ... before I figured out these coping techniques I was locking myself out all the time and constantly misplacing things (now it still happens occasionally but it is so much better.) 

If you tell us what kind of things you loose, maybe it will be easier to give some more applicable advice... 

Children
No Data