What is the best sensory texture, item or focal point that calms you/people you know down?

Hello everyone!

I hope you are all well. My name is Daisy, and I am a first year University student with Autism, studying Graphic Design. My latest project is to create a poster that is a focal point to help calm people with Autism in times of stress, anxiety or meltdown. The plan is to do this by having lots of different sensory textures or focal points on the poster to physically touch/focus on, and feel calmer from the sensory input. 

So I can make the most effective poster that could potentially help as many people as possible, I would like to ask everyone here:

“If textures/sensory/focal input are something that helps calm you or someone you know down, what textures or sensations calm you/them down the most during difficult times?” These can be anything, including scents, textures, items to touch, hold or items to look at. 

If you’re happy to contribute, please could you post below any number of items or sensations that help you/someone you know? To give a few examples, the main ones that help me are: the scent of lavender, the light switch style part of a fidget cube, a metal heart shaped keyring, and soft faux fur fabric. 

There are genuinely no wrong answers, just mention anything you think is relevant if you are able to. Even if you think it might not be relevant, I’d love to hear from you. For example, if watching a lava lamp helps you, obviously this couldn’t directly be incorporated, but could be represented in some way. 

You can link products, or simply write anything that comes to mind. If I do end up using your answers to influence my project, your answers will be anonymised. I understand that not everything that helps people will be suitable for use in my poster, but it’s useful to get a sense of everyone’s preference regardless. 

Also, just in case anyone was concerned, I have emailed the National Autistic Society before posting this, and have their approval to do so. 

Thank you so much for your time, and if you have any questions, please do ask. 

Daisy 

Parents Reply Children