How often are people here NOT autistic?

Has anyone who has been here a long time got an answer to this question? We all obviously come here for a reason, but how often does it turn out that it ISN'T autism-related? 

I'm planning on disclosing to my employer on Thursday that I am awaiting an assessment and explaining some of the difficulties that I have. I know some people disagree with this approach but I have a challenging and unpredictable job and I've just changed employer, and I feel like I need support from the earliest opportunity even if I'm wrong and my needs are anxiety-related rather than autism. 

I am prepared for the fact that I may have quite a wait until I am assessed so it is going to be in the back if my mind that they may consciously or subconsciously treat me differently and then I don't get the outcome I expect. I don't want to feel like a fraud.

Interested in any thoughts people have about this.

Parents
  • Hi, HDD: Blush

Thanks for the awesome post! I am new here so I don’t have any answer to your first question, in terms of how many people on this site are not autistic.

Regarding what appears to be your second question, asking whether others think you should disclose to your employer on Thursday, even though you were waiting for an assessment, I totally recommend you follow your gut instinct on that. It’s clear you’ve thought it through and you know your needs and you respect yourself enough to take some risk by disclosing and asking for the support you need.

I hope the conversation with your employer on Thursday goes well and if you’re willing to share with us how it goes, that would be amazing.

I’m thinking of you! Also I think you sent me a direct message and for some reason I can’t find it now. If you wouldn’t mind resending it to me that would be great.

Elizabeth

• My supervisor cancelled the meeting so it isnt happening for another week now. I don't want to spring it on her outside of a formal meeting with time for her to properly respond so I'm just going to have to tolerate it.

I'm having a bad day today. Really feel like I don't belong in my profession. 

• My supervisor cancelled the meeting so it isnt happening for another week now. I don't want to spring it on her outside of a formal meeting with time for her to properly respond so I'm just going to have to tolerate it.

I'm having a bad day today. Really feel like I don't belong in my profession. 

Children
No Data