How often are people here NOT autistic?

Has anyone who has been here a long time got an answer to this question? We all obviously come here for a reason, but how often does it turn out that it ISN'T autism-related? 

I'm planning on disclosing to my employer on Thursday that I am awaiting an assessment and explaining some of the difficulties that I have. I know some people disagree with this approach but I have a challenging and unpredictable job and I've just changed employer, and I feel like I need support from the earliest opportunity even if I'm wrong and my needs are anxiety-related rather than autism. 

I am prepared for the fact that I may have quite a wait until I am assessed so it is going to be in the back if my mind that they may consciously or subconsciously treat me differently and then I don't get the outcome I expect. I don't want to feel like a fraud.

Interested in any thoughts people have about this.

Parents
  • Hi Hookaduckduck, I think whether to tell or not tell your employer is a personal thing. I also think it should be encouraged, because if we are going to discuss mental health and engage with it, that only works if everyone is honest about it. From both sides. (Perhaps a separate post though)

What I would do, and did do, is secretly recorded the conversation on my phone. It gave me reassurance during the meeting and also gave me a back up should they “forget” the conversation happened! Sorry if that sounds a little paranoid.

• I like this idea. I'll probably forget to set my phone to record though haha. 

Reply Children
No Data