How often are people here NOT autistic?

Has anyone who has been here a long time got an answer to this question? We all obviously come here for a reason, but how often does it turn out that it ISN'T autism-related? 

I'm planning on disclosing to my employer on Thursday that I am awaiting an assessment and explaining some of the difficulties that I have. I know some people disagree with this approach but I have a challenging and unpredictable job and I've just changed employer, and I feel like I need support from the earliest opportunity even if I'm wrong and my needs are anxiety-related rather than autism. 

I am prepared for the fact that I may have quite a wait until I am assessed so it is going to be in the back if my mind that they may consciously or subconsciously treat me differently and then I don't get the outcome I expect. I don't want to feel like a fraud.

Interested in any thoughts people have about this.

Parents
  • I ended up telling my employers as I was struggling. They don't really have a great understanding of mental health, even though they are supposed to take it seriously. I hadn't exactly wanted to say anything until I knew what was going on myself, unfortunately I was dealing with a number of things that just made the situation worse. At one point, I was told that I needed to be mindful about how I come across, that seemed to be the indication that I should say something. 

I therefore decided to let them know as at that point, I was aware that this was something that could be related to the Autism. Not much has changed, although I have joined a union and I would highly recommend it to anyone else. I'm currently raising a complaint against the very same managers because of another situation, and also for the lack of support and even consideration in my mental health which has caused me to struggle. I've also contacted a company called Remploy which was recommended to me by a workplace counsellor and will hopefully not only help me to determine the support that I need, but also educate my managers on their role in all this.

I feel that by not disclosing the 'potential' Autism, I could have almost shot myself in the foot. I have an anxiety disorder anyway, however the additional stress of trying to figure out who I am after years of not knowing, has made it more difficult. Had I not told them, they could argue that I wasn't giving them the full picture and therefore not allowing them to make the most appropriate decisions.

I know many say not to disclose, I understand the reasons for it and you'll need to consider the type of employers you have before making your ultimate decision. For me, it was the right decision as it's allowing me to sort out a situation with all the cards on the table. I also now have a union rep to support me so they know they have to tread carefully rather than dismissing my mental health as a 'bad attitude' which is what they were doing before.

• Thanks for your post, Loz. 

I’m sorry you had to go through what you did, but I’m glad that you’re a part of a union and that you advocated for yourself. You sound like a strong person.

I have been somewhat on the fence about whether to disclose at my current workplace and interestingly, your post has really tipped me toward the ‘disclose’ side of things. Thanks for your thoughts and for sharing.

Elizabeth

• Thanks for your post, Loz. 

I’m sorry you had to go through what you did, but I’m glad that you’re a part of a union and that you advocated for yourself. You sound like a strong person.

I have been somewhat on the fence about whether to disclose at my current workplace and interestingly, your post has really tipped me toward the ‘disclose’ side of things. Thanks for your thoughts and for sharing.

Elizabeth

Children
  • Hi Elizabeth, glad to be of help. If you do intend to disclose to your employer, my suggestion would be to know your work policies inside and out first. It is protected under the Equality act and that is also important to be aware of. Employers have a duty of care to their staff however the reality is that, they can also be both ignorant and intolerant. You should have supportive employers who make it possible for you to work your best. It benefits them and often can be nothing more than a few small changes. Two things my Union Rep mentioned to me, are 'Victimisation' and 'Constructive dismissal'. It's also worth being aware of these as there is a worst case scenario that you are in either situation and you should have an idea how to recognise and act upon it.

Finally, I'm not a particularly strong person. Just old enough to have had enough of the BS.