First time I drank booze in 12 weeks

I spent 10 years as an alcoholic. If I'd have had help early on I might have not got in this position but now I have no friends. I'm lonely as hell. It's cold, wet and windy. It's been pouring rain down heavily for the 4th day in a row and I just couldn't take it anymore and drank a bottle of rum. No one seems to need me. I figured I had nothing to lose. I guess I'm like that sea captain in that Jaws film. A little odd, spent too much time in my own little world.

• Hi Roswell:

Thanks for such an honest post. I can only speak for myself, but I just want you to know that you’re important and you matter, no matter where you’re at or what you’ve consumed. Blush

I have people in my friend and family circle who identify as alcoholics and something they’ve told me is that pursuing sobriety, if one chooses to do that, is usually a journey with repeated stops, often backsliding, and starts. They also say that being gentle and forgiving toward oneself is invaluable.

I’m sending you lots of support, and it seems like you’ve got support from multiple great people on the site as well. Blush

Elizabeth

• Thank you Plastic, you're a good egg! Smiley

• I'm not but have considered joining. Just a bit wary of the social aspect as I imagine (I'm assuming though) other alcoholics would tend to a lot more sociable than me.

• Sorry you're feeling so down - this is always a rubbish time of year.    

Congrats on the 12 weeks though - just shows you are stronger than you think.     12 weeks could have been only 12 minutes but you showed internal strength -  I think you did very well considering all of the external stress you're under.      Keep trying - you WILL succeed.  Smiley

• Are you a member of the AA or similar? Having someone who has been through this and can listen with you might be beneficial.