Struggling with understanding own emotions.

Hello everyone I’ve always had some difficulties with understanding some of my emotions I know when it’s super obvious like if I’m laughing my head off about something but I keep thinking about my autism assessment I was asked several times what I was feeling or how I felt about something and I couldn’t really answer properly does anyone else suffer with this sort of thing is it to do with my autism?

Parents
  • Yeah, I find it hard to put names to my emotions unless they are obvious. It's a common autism thing. E.g For a while I always had a nasty feeling in my chest and was unable to concentrate at all but I didn't even know I was anxious until I had a huge panic attack. It's hard to deal with your emotions if you don't know what you're feeling so I want to get better at it. My counsellor at uni asked me to do a mood diary so I made a spreadsheet for it and if I don't know what an emotion is then I write down the stuff that I've been doing instead to help me work it out at another time. It's quite an interesting project.

• Yeah, i think that's the biggest problem, i'm having emotions, but i don't even realise i'm having emotions. Like i always thought i was calm and didn't know what anxiety was, until i tealised i'm kinda anxious all the time, but over different things to NTs and i can't describe it or relate to how they describe it, but made me realise i have lots more emotion going on than i know.

• Yeah, i think that's the biggest problem, i'm having emotions, but i don't even realise i'm having emotions. Like i always thought i was calm and didn't know what anxiety was, until i tealised i'm kinda anxious all the time, but over different things to NTs and i can't describe it or relate to how they describe it, but made me realise i have lots more emotion going on than i know.

Children