Getting a diagnosis

Roughly, how long does it take to get a diagnosis?

(if you need a specific area, I am from North Lincolnshire!)

• Thanks for replying. I am currently going through a GP, but we’ve been having complications with where I’m being referred to Sweat smile Just wanted a rough idea how long it usually takes without complications 

• It's not an entirely assured diagnostic process though and results may vary from different health professionals https://bmcpsychiatry.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12888-018-1800-1

A multidisciplinary team assessment is best but expensive and long wait. Private assessment more likely to be positive. Need to think how important it is for you to know and how quickly to know if the cost is acceptable 

• Thanks for letting me know! I did get told by a support team member it would be a year but there’s been complications

• @Blue Thanks for your reply!

I have already contacted my GP and there was a mistake in the referral system so I’m awaiting a call back to sort that out and hopefully figure out what’s going to happen. 

I don’t think I’d ever be able to go private as I’d never be able to afford it until many many years in the future. 

Thanks for your advice though :))

• Hello, 

Not sure about your area but I self reffered to the diagnostic team and start to finish it took about 10 months (Covid added 6 months to that though!) I live in a big city in the North and know its very different for different areas. 

• At the moment if you decide to go through the National Health Service the waiting list is somewhere around two years on average in England. In some cases you may have to wait longer.

It's also quite common for individuals waiting for a diagnosis to be lost in the administration system so it is recommended to contact your General Practitioner every couple of months to make sure that referral has been sent. It also recommended to keep in contact with your Doctors Surgery to make sure their are no errors in the administration department as some individuals have waited years to find that the referral has been lost to the system and have to start the process again. 

If you Decide to go private it can cost around £1000 to £2500 for a diagnosis and the waiting list is lot shorter. However beware that some local authority still do not accept private diagnosis as evidence and may require an official NHS Diagnosis to acquire financial aid and support. 

Going private can be a waste of money if the assessment is not overseen by someone working with the national health service.

Going private can be beneficial as they are more likely to recognize and statement other comorbid conditions like sensory processing disorder, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder and other specific learning disabilities such as Dyslexia and Dyspraxia but it depend on the service/Organisation you decide to go with may charge an additional £500 to £1500 to assess and statement them.If you decide to go private it is also recommended that you also go on the waiting list and waiting for the Official NHS Diagnosis.