Learning To Drive

Hi!

Recently I have been thinking about learning to drive but im nervous if I have a meltdown or sensory overload whilst driving.

If you are autisitic and know how to drive (a car) could you tell me a little bit about your experience on what's it like and what the pros and cons are?

Thank you!

Parents
  • I don't have autism, but my boyfriend does. He drives and has for many years. On top of that, he is very skillful driver who knows what he is doing.

However, here are a few ways in which his autism (high-functioning) have affected his driving:
    - Tiredness - he tends to get very tired from driving, depending on the journey. I think has to do with the concentration levels and sensory reasons. So beware that driving may tire you out so you might want to keep lessons and practice short if it gets too much.

- Easily angered by other drivers - it seems to me (although plenty of people have road rage, autistic or not) that he becomes more easily frustrated by other people's driving, and we're not just talking about dangerous or careless drivers, but something as simple as the driver in front going slightly slower than he'd like to go. Fortunately he is not horrible to others on the road but he is easily frustrated by others.

Having said that, I do think his autism in part has made him a good driver. He is very meticulous with how he drives and parks and is skillful at it. Don't let your autism put you off and just ensure that you go at a pace comfortable to you. And if you're not ready than don't feel like you have to continue!

Best of luck.

• i noticed by accident that if i wear sunglasses i was less tired n long journeys so i now wear driving glasses all the time and when not driving as well.

yes autistic drivers are good drivers. i cant small talk when driving at all i focus completely on driving.

i did go thru a time when i suffered from roadrage now i have learnt to see tha rising in me and will deliberately slow down calm down and if necessary stop for 5 mins.  Anything to get my good driving back.

• i noticed by accident that if i wear sunglasses i was less tired n long journeys so i now wear driving glasses all the time and when not driving as well.

yes autistic drivers are good drivers. i cant small talk when driving at all i focus completely on driving.

i did go thru a time when i suffered from roadrage now i have learnt to see tha rising in me and will deliberately slow down calm down and if necessary stop for 5 mins.  Anything to get my good driving back.

Children
  • The trouble is that many people with Autism might not be safe drivers because of Co-Existing conditions but I do know of at least two people who drive diagnosed with Autism.   Some people with Autism have a co-existing condition of Attention Deficit Disorder or Dyspraxia which can make it hard to drive safely.