Learning To Drive

Hi!

Recently I have been thinking about learning to drive but im nervous if I have a meltdown or sensory overload whilst driving.

If you are autisitic and know how to drive (a car) could you tell me a little bit about your experience on what's it like and what the pros and cons are?

Thank you!

Parents
  • Hello, 

I learnt to drive when I was 32 because my son had been diagnosed with Autism and he couldn't cope with public transport so I started taking lessons. I didn't know I was Autistic then (that might sound silly I know) 

I have just been diagnosed with Autism (46 now) and I love driving it is one of the best things I ever did but I found it so hard to learn. I would get overwhelmed and cry on most lessons. I found it very hard, but I had a good instructor who was patient and kind and I passed first time! I do get very irritated when people aren't following the rules of the road but I other than that I really love it and have driven all over the country and even abroad on holiday. 

If it something you want to do give it a try and don't be put off because it's hard at first or because you are scared of what might happen. There have been journeys that have been really scary for me (like awful weather on the motorways) but I have always held it together on the road and just cried when I got home. It hasn't put me off driving. Some people don't like it but some like me, really love it. Find a nice instructor or someone you trust to take you out. See how you feel about it. Hope this helps. 

• Hello, 

I learnt to drive when I was 32 because my son had been diagnosed with Autism and he couldn't cope with public transport so I started taking lessons. I didn't know I was Autistic then (that might sound silly I know) 

I have just been diagnosed with Autism (46 now) and I love driving it is one of the best things I ever did but I found it so hard to learn. I would get overwhelmed and cry on most lessons. I found it very hard, but I had a good instructor who was patient and kind and I passed first time! I do get very irritated when people aren't following the rules of the road but I other than that I really love it and have driven all over the country and even abroad on holiday. 

If it something you want to do give it a try and don't be put off because it's hard at first or because you are scared of what might happen. There have been journeys that have been really scary for me (like awful weather on the motorways) but I have always held it together on the road and just cried when I got home. It hasn't put me off driving. Some people don't like it but some like me, really love it. Find a nice instructor or someone you trust to take you out. See how you feel about it. Hope this helps. 

Children