Learning To Drive

Hi!

Recently I have been thinking about learning to drive but im nervous if I have a meltdown or sensory overload whilst driving.

If you are autisitic and know how to drive (a car) could you tell me a little bit about your experience on what's it like and what the pros and cons are?

Thank you!

Parents
  • I passed the driving test over thirteen years ago, and still have sensory overloads behind the wheel. Even this morning, when taking my brother with me for a Solicitor's appointment in Cookstown, I was nearly ploughed into by a White Audi driver to my right turning left to a side-bay between the road and pavement.

I went through the emotional, and financial, wringer getting the driving test past. At first, I was none the wiser. Manoeuvring is a major bone of contention for me, I have difficulty multitasking. Perhaps practice steering with something large and round. Even now, I struggle with the steering. But my clutch control and observation levels are good enough.

Another issue I have is dealing with multiple lanes. Some roundabouts are exceptions to the general rule. And roundabouts with additional traffic lights are a foreign concept to me; I'm from the Northern Ireland Boonies. I've seen a few of those roundabouts in England; when a passenger in a taxi. I would struggle to deal with the layouts of the roads in Britain. And that's not even considering cyclists.

Insurance can be a stumbling block if you're under twenty-five. Fortunately, I was twenty-eight when I passed the test. People develop skills in their own time. The REAL education in driving begins once you've passed.

Automatics are better, but they're dead expensive.

If you're really stuck, perhaps learn to ride a motorbike first. You'll become a more confident driver if you go biking first.

That's pretty much it.

• I passed the driving test over thirteen years ago, and still have sensory overloads behind the wheel. Even this morning, when taking my brother with me for a Solicitor's appointment in Cookstown, I was nearly ploughed into by a White Audi driver to my right turning left to a side-bay between the road and pavement.

I went through the emotional, and financial, wringer getting the driving test past. At first, I was none the wiser. Manoeuvring is a major bone of contention for me, I have difficulty multitasking. Perhaps practice steering with something large and round. Even now, I struggle with the steering. But my clutch control and observation levels are good enough.

Another issue I have is dealing with multiple lanes. Some roundabouts are exceptions to the general rule. And roundabouts with additional traffic lights are a foreign concept to me; I'm from the Northern Ireland Boonies. I've seen a few of those roundabouts in England; when a passenger in a taxi. I would struggle to deal with the layouts of the roads in Britain. And that's not even considering cyclists.

Insurance can be a stumbling block if you're under twenty-five. Fortunately, I was twenty-eight when I passed the test. People develop skills in their own time. The REAL education in driving begins once you've passed.

Automatics are better, but they're dead expensive.

If you're really stuck, perhaps learn to ride a motorbike first. You'll become a more confident driver if you go biking first.

That's pretty much it.

Children
  • I learned to drive a motorcycle first. In my day the limit was 250cc with top speeds of about 100m.p.h.

It is well documented that motorcycle riders make better car drivers and pass car tests easier.

You can get automatic or electric motorcycles if needed. This way you will learn road skills without having to worry about gear changing. Eventually it becomes second nature.

Get your CBT and a 125 (about 40mph) and that way you will not have to worry about getting through spaces etc.

At 61 I still prefer bikes as they are far more convenient for popping into the town for simple things and I have a choice of cars.