Learning To Drive

Hi!

Recently I have been thinking about learning to drive but im nervous if I have a meltdown or sensory overload whilst driving.

If you are autisitic and know how to drive (a car) could you tell me a little bit about your experience on what's it like and what the pros and cons are?

Thank you!

Parents
  • Hello,

I was lucky as my Great-grandfather used to take me out on a quiet industrial estate for driving lessons when I was about thirteen so I was used to clutch control and braking before taking more formal lessons. Having said that, I have only driven on a motorway once and never again as it was sensory overload for me. I stick to local roads and have a clean driving licence so go ahead and find what works for you. Driving does give you freedom and you are not bound by timetables. Do not be put off by the foot to the floor brigade and concentrate on your driving, good luck. 

• Hello,

I was lucky as my Great-grandfather used to take me out on a quiet industrial estate for driving lessons when I was about thirteen so I was used to clutch control and braking before taking more formal lessons. Having said that, I have only driven on a motorway once and never again as it was sensory overload for me. I stick to local roads and have a clean driving licence so go ahead and find what works for you. Driving does give you freedom and you are not bound by timetables. Do not be put off by the foot to the floor brigade and concentrate on your driving, good luck. 

Children