Learning To Drive

Hi!

Recently I have been thinking about learning to drive but im nervous if I have a meltdown or sensory overload whilst driving.

If you are autisitic and know how to drive (a car) could you tell me a little bit about your experience on what's it like and what the pros and cons are?

Thank you!

Parents
  • I've said this many times on here when these threads pop up - driving is a bunch of separate skills - so why not learn them separately.

First is the rules - highway code - learn what you should be doing and all the road signs.

Next is controlling a car - if you're anxious, learn to drive an auto - all the future electric cars will be auto so a gearstick is just a load of avoidable grief,.   

Try to find one of those companies that use an off the road course - most are on aerodromes etc. so you get used to driving a car without all the hazards and obstacles in your way.

When you're comfortable, next is book a normal driving lesson - the only change to what you're doing are the other road users - but you'll already be skilled in controlling the car.

• I've said this many times on here when these threads pop up - driving is a bunch of separate skills - so why not learn them separately.

First is the rules - highway code - learn what you should be doing and all the road signs.

Next is controlling a car - if you're anxious, learn to drive an auto - all the future electric cars will be auto so a gearstick is just a load of avoidable grief,.   

Try to find one of those companies that use an off the road course - most are on aerodromes etc. so you get used to driving a car without all the hazards and obstacles in your way.

When you're comfortable, next is book a normal driving lesson - the only change to what you're doing are the other road users - but you'll already be skilled in controlling the car.

Children
No Data