Any Americans or Expats living in the US?

Hi, we have the chance of moving to California in the next 3-6 months and I am wondering what the US attitude towards aspies is and getting employment?

Don’t want to put too much detail in case there is nobody here.

Parents
  • The country is quite corrupt. Fruit and vegetables are taxed really highly there while junk food is subsidised. So you have a surreal situation where families might eat out at McDonald's 3-4 times a week but can't afford to eat apples and broccoli. No wonder so many of them are unhealthy. Personally I wouldn't fancy it. 

• Not really - you can't really think of the US as one country - it's like a bunch of similar but very different countries sharing a common language & currency.  Some states are much cheaper to live in than others.

You can eat perfectly healthily if you want to - but huge steaks, pizzas and burgers are so cheap that lots of people lack any kind of self control.       We go there a lot - and the Golden Corral breakfasts are awesome in every way.     

It's a very young country - the old 50s/60s cowboy films are almost documentaries - that whole cowboy period only really fizzled out in the 1920s.       That's why it just doesn't have the history and infrastructure to have all the nice things we have here like the NHS - people just don't understand the size of the country and the population density variation make some things crazy expensive but other things really cheap.    It's why their cars are the way they are - a trip to the shops might be 100 miles so you need a comfy car with a huge boot to minimise the number of journeys - and a massive fridge at home for all the shopping.

California is very different - millions of people in mega-cities but the climate there means it's easy to be homeless - you're not going to freeze to death!      It's why poor people go there in such huge numbers.

• Well I have to admit the eating out there is amazing. I've seen documentaries and no doubt their restaurants are more exciting than ours.

If I went I'd miss the British sense of humour. I have American acquaintances online and they're nice people but I don't find their humour very funny and they often irritate me. I think it's a bigger culture shock than many would guess.

But if The Riddler has a job lined up in some big IT company like Google it could be worth it. It's definitely a more dynamic scene economically at the top end of things.

• The Mexicans won't know the difference.....  Smiley

• I thought about teaching English. The only thing I thought is do they want learn actual English, or that freak show that Americans call English. Ha ha ha!

• That's a bummer - their electrics and installations are so different to ours.   I did 16th Edition many years ago but I look at dodgy US electrics with amazement.    Ca has loads of OTT permitting regulations and it's very union-driven - probably more than any other state - so as an outsider, it's difficult to break into it - and also, it's freaking hot!   Could you work on site in that heat?.  

You could probably find work teaching English to the Mexican population there.

• Sorry I've no idea what to advise as I don't know anything about stuff like that. Maybe try asking on Reddit, it has a lot of users and posts, there will be more replies on there, there might be people who know specifics about the kind of work you could do.

• I will NEVER set foot there.

We don't know how lucky we have it, here!

• That’s the problem Roswell, I don’t have a job! It’s my wife’s company that want to relocate her. The concern I have is that have had just re-qualified as an electrician here as I could no longer work for big corporates. Now I have such specific employment needs I’m not sure I’d ever find a job over there, let alone be able to attend an interview. This why I became self employed.

I looked into doing electrical work over there, but the training they expect is at least 5 years, not to mention you have to join a union, pass some industry exam board, and I’m already 45.

I thought about just doing handyman work, but that is massively restricted. If you want to do a job that is more than $500 you have to register as a construction worker. Then quests what? Pass exams, join a union etc etc. It’s mad.

I feel if I go I could be unemployed and miserable, If I say I don’t want to go my wife looses out on a great job and she’ll be pissed off and won’t let me forget it forever more, like women do!

I’m screwed.

• That’s the problem Roswell, I don’t have a job! It’s my wife’s company that want to relocate her. The concern I have is that have had just re-qualified as an electrician here as I could no longer work for big corporates. Now I have such specific employment needs I’m not sure I’d ever find a job over there, let alone be able to attend an interview. This why I became self employed.

I looked into doing electrical work over there, but the training they expect is at least 5 years, not to mention you have to join a union, pass some industry exam board, and I’m already 45.

I thought about just doing handyman work, but that is massively restricted. If you want to do a job that is more than $500 you have to register as a construction worker. Then quests what? Pass exams, join a union etc etc. It’s mad.

I feel if I go I could be unemployed and miserable, If I say I don’t want to go my wife looses out on a great job and she’ll be pissed off and won’t let me forget it forever more, like women do!

I’m screwed.

Children