Do you get overly emotional about your interests?

I'm a huge fan of ice hockey, and it's an understatement to say that I'm obsessive in my interest in its history. Today, I worked on a biography article on Gordie Howe, and as a part of my research and sourcing, I watched a video of one of his sons giving a eulogy at his funeral, and I literally started crying while I did. It made me think back to a few years ago when I learned he had died. I remember crying then too. There are other hockey players that I'll cry over when I study something related to their deaths, and there are certain events that make me do so when I study them. I've never met any of them. The only connection that I have to them is that they played the sport that I love so much. It makes me feel very awkward when it happens, but I can't help it. It's just a part of who I am. Does that sort of thing happen to anyone else here?

Parents
  • Looking at this now, I see that I failed to include one piece of information that I intended to. While I get emotional over the things I mentioned in the original post, it tends to be very different in "real life." I hate to admit it, but other than people that I'm close to, I tend to be unmoved by things that happen to others. It doesn't mean that I don't care, but it just doesn't have the emotional impact on me. Thus, what I described in the original post is different from what happens in everyday life.

• Looking at this now, I see that I failed to include one piece of information that I intended to. While I get emotional over the things I mentioned in the original post, it tends to be very different in "real life." I hate to admit it, but other than people that I'm close to, I tend to be unmoved by things that happen to others. It doesn't mean that I don't care, but it just doesn't have the emotional impact on me. Thus, what I described in the original post is different from what happens in everyday life.

Children
No Data