Does anyone else struggle with simple things like smiling?

I’d say one of the most damaging things my ASD does to my life is my struggle to smile at/with people.

ive heard that when some people with ASD experience eye contact the flight or fight response centre in our brains is overly active compared with a neuro-typical person... making things like eye contact, smiling, listening, anxiety very difficult.

any one else?

Parents
  • making things like eye contact, smiling, listening, anxiety very difficult.

Greetings. You are correct about that; have a look around this forum, especially "Eye contact" and there is a lot about that, including that some Autistic People find certain things physically painful. (The search box is upon the Home screen, an Icon with three lines.)

Regarding Myself... warning -- a bit depressive, here! -- I used to smile a lot as a child, yet (was as if and still) am being taught out of it, since upon Me 'smiling'/happy, most often people see it as something sinister ...!? Totally regardless of the situation, I have the following words burnt into My memory from My Own Schooldays:

"Don't You smile at Me like that, Young Lady!"

• making things like eye contact, smiling, listening, anxiety very difficult.

Greetings. You are correct about that; have a look around this forum, especially "Eye contact" and there is a lot about that, including that some Autistic People find certain things physically painful. (The search box is upon the Home screen, an Icon with three lines.)

Regarding Myself... warning -- a bit depressive, here! -- I used to smile a lot as a child, yet (was as if and still) am being taught out of it, since upon Me 'smiling'/happy, most often people see it as something sinister ...!? Totally regardless of the situation, I have the following words burnt into My memory from My Own Schooldays:

"Don't You smile at Me like that, Young Lady!"

Children
No Data