Rollacoaster

Hello

I am a 55 year old guy who can easily relate to many other life stories on this forum , wondering why I was different etc . In short I crashed at Christmas time and stayed in my bubble until last Friday when I clicked on an Australian guy on You Tube who ran through the ASD common symptoms  . Since then my world has collapsed and been rebuilt several times , quite frankly I haven’t a clue how I feel I am I think relieved in some ways a scrambled all at the same time . I have no one to speak to really that can help 

My current plan is to carry on bashing away at it (life that is) the same wayI have done since before I can remember but with the added knowledge that I have learned over the past week or so ie trying to take notice of what aggravates me then avoid it 

I think I’m going to need a bigger pad ha ha

Im not looking for sympathy and any help would be very much appreciated 

With peace

Carl

Parents
  • Bashing away at it is indeed what seems to get us there in the first place. 

I have this feeling I drive a car with square wheels and I also get places. 

The official diagnose was requested by my wife. Now she realises that I have the right attitude as husbands are expected, but if she wants me to mow the lawn or do the dishes, she has to realise that I can't just drop everything and get doing what she asks. She now also understands that when she tells me something, I do care and act upon it, it's just that on the spot it's hard to tell if I'm actually listening or just dismissing. 

If you're different, it does seem so that you're not the only one. 

What helped with me, I broke all contact with a brother in law. He gave me very weird vibes. I would not be able to fall asleep after he talked to me. Since then I have energy to meet up with some colleagues now and then and go out for a meal. And with those people I don't have this, I do sleep well after meeting with them. 

Also, in the weekend, I take at least 1 day of doing absolutely nothing useful. Playing video games, watching youtube video's on atheism, philosophy, history,... 

• Bashing away at it is indeed what seems to get us there in the first place. 

I have this feeling I drive a car with square wheels and I also get places. 

The official diagnose was requested by my wife. Now she realises that I have the right attitude as husbands are expected, but if she wants me to mow the lawn or do the dishes, she has to realise that I can't just drop everything and get doing what she asks. She now also understands that when she tells me something, I do care and act upon it, it's just that on the spot it's hard to tell if I'm actually listening or just dismissing. 

If you're different, it does seem so that you're not the only one. 

What helped with me, I broke all contact with a brother in law. He gave me very weird vibes. I would not be able to fall asleep after he talked to me. Since then I have energy to meet up with some colleagues now and then and go out for a meal. And with those people I don't have this, I do sleep well after meeting with them. 

Also, in the weekend, I take at least 1 day of doing absolutely nothing useful. Playing video games, watching youtube video's on atheism, philosophy, history,... 

Children
  • Since then I have energy to meet up with some colleagues now and then and go out for a meal. And with those people I don't have this, I do sleep well after meeting with them.

Yes - I find playing the social game with NTs to be exhausting - but I can spend all day with other aspies with no problems.

I take at least 1 day of doing absolutely nothing useful.

I need that too - I try to arrange that 'useless day' to be when it's rubbish weather so I can sleep/do nothing and it doesn't affect anyone else - then be fully functioning on days when it's nice out and we can do things together.